Sierra Nevada Pry offs!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
Had a poker game this weekend and a buddy brought a 12er of SNPA. It's the first time I've seen them use pry off caps instead of twist off! Is this a permanent move they're making? At any rate, got 12 more bottles for my hb needs!

Sounds permanent. From their website:

Good news! After many years of research and development we are proud to introduce a bottle cap that keeps beer fresher, longer and is more environmentally friendly.

The new pry-off caps offer an increased oxygen barrier over other materials commonly used in bottle cap liners. This material is much denser and does not work on a twist-off bottle, so we are in the process of switching all our caps to pry offs.

Of course they could have saved on R&D and just visited their local LHBS.

BassBurner said:
Sounds permanent. From their website:

Of course they could have saved on R&D and just visited their local LHBS.

What I think is funny is they make a statement like "It's more environmentally friendly" :D I'd need to see where they get that from lol.

It frustrates me that companies use twist off's...they are so...unclassy imo.

Because the bottles are deemed reuseable?

If someone lives near Chico, I'd call them on their challenge and find out where to get free bottles.

That is great news, especially for homebrewers like me who love SN ales. However, I too am confused about how they deem it an environmentally concious move. It's always been my understanding that twist-off bottles are made with thinner glass as they do not need require as much force to cap (and they do seem lighter, though i've never weighed the difference.

Heavier bottles fundamentally means more energy required to move them around the country, and that means more CO2 produced to get each bottle from the brewery to the fridge.

Still weighting on aluminum bottles to take off on a larger scale, but not looking good. Can nolonger find Moose Drool in the AL bottles, so I guess that didn't work out.

It's a good move for their sales too. I drink a lot of SA beers because of the pry offs.

SN doesn't get a lot of drinking around here because of the twisters. :D

That could explain my difficulty twisting them off in the last couple weeks. Damn things haven't been on sale either. LOL.

In Europe you don't have that many twist off caps.
Most of the beer brands use pry off and the bottles aren't refundable. They're made of thin glass compared to the empty bottles I buy. We just throw them into special containers for glass.

I do not understand why pry off caps should be more environmentaly friendly....

The pry off's are generally thicker glass and can be re-used more. I know there's a thread on this here somewhere.

haha yeah I tried twisting one off 'til my hand was raw the other day. I thought maybe they had a mixup at the factory. Good news for us homebrewers, maybe other breweries will follow suit?

damn that is good news, i haven't bought any sierra for a while now to try and keep my bottle stock up.

Back