Chrome plated steel OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyin

Reaction score
I'm getting everything gathered up for my first AG/BIAB & the only thing I've found to keep the grain bag off the bottom of the kettle is an aluminum screen splatter guard from WallyWorld. It has a chrome plates steel ring around it to give it some strength. I plan to cut the handel off & put some small ~1" long stainless screws thru it to raise it off the bottom. The big question is, can I use the chrome plated steel in the mash (below 170*), will it poison me or screw up my beer? it will be pulled out before the boil. I've tried searching but everything was chrome faucets & shanks.

That's exactly what I'm using now, but w/ copper feet. Hasn't discolored yet, I've done about 10 batches using it so far.

Thanks, Looks like I'll use the screen for this batch & upgrade this weekend. The BrewBudget is blown for the week

Doh. Here I have been pricing and contemplating making my own secondary FB for a hopback (long story) and this has been staring me in the face daily.

We steam a LOT of veggies for the baby.

At ~$8.00 it's cheaper than a sheet of stainless for me to cut and drill holes in.

Is that steamer fine enough to provide a relatively clear wort? Wouldn't the results from a grain bag be much clearer. I'm about to do my first PM tomorrow. I've been limited to steeping until now. I've got a 2 gal cooler I'm going to use as my mash tun, but I was looking for a more permanent set-up than just using a grain bag every time. My idea was to cut the screen out of a splatter guard so that there is no metal ring around it. What would be the pros/cons of splatter guard vs. steamer?

Back