2 meads 4 month review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svengoat

Reaction score
I made 2 meads about 4 months ago... One grape and one vanilla/cherry.. Same basic recipe:

2 lb 8 oz honey
Grape juice to fill 1 gallon
Montrachet yeast

2 lb 8 oz honey
2 vanilla beans
1/2 lb cherries
Montrachet yeast

Just racked off the primary and they both cleared but real slow.. The grape mead has a pleasant grape note both in flavor and scent.. Pretty much drinkable now but prolly needs another 4-5 months in the bottle..Will be making this again.. The vanilla / cherry is REAL strong both in vanilla and alcohol.. Methinks 2 vanilla beans was a tad too much as it tastes alittle like cream soda..LOL This is gonna need some conditioning time for sure..
Last night I cultivated a couple lbs of black currants from my bush and made a black currant mead... It has a deep red color and complex flavor from the berries.. Only difference is I used champagne yeast as I had it on hand..:mug:

They are not close to clearing yet. I just measured gravities & it's about half the way to FG. I believe it slows down as it approaches the FG. I used 71B-1122.

Back