Vinyle Tiles on a Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dboblitt

Reaction score
So even though I have only had my Oster kegerator for 5 months I already want to move on to more taps. I am thinking about getting the Whirlppol 8.9 cu ft. chest freezer and converting. I would really like to get rid of the plain white and was thinking I could put some vinyl tiles on the side to give it a stone look but I am afraind this might hurt with the freezer's cooling ability. Does anyone have experience with placing a covering of any kind on a chest freezer? Thanks for the help.

As long as you don't cover the vents you shouldn't alter the cooling properties at all. The heat transfer is all done in the compressor and on the inside of the freezer, so don't cover those places.

They also make appliance paint for stoves, refrigerators etc. Works really good.

As long as you don't cover the vents you shouldn't alter the cooling properties at all. The heat transfer is all done in the compressor and on the inside of the freezer, so don't cover those places.

I'm not sure that's true. Most chest freezers have two sets of coils. The ones that touch the inner wall are the evap cooling coils and the compression loop that dumps the heat is run on the outside skin. I don't know if putting tiles on there will kill it, but it will run hotter.

They also make appliance paint for stoves, refrigerators etc. Works really good.

I just built my keezer (no pics till i get my co2 tank :)) and used appliance paint for it all to change it from white to black. I used an appliance spray paint from Home Depot.

I'm not sure that's true. Most chest freezers have two sets of coils. The ones that touch the inner wall are the evap cooling coils and the compression loop that dumps the heat is run on the outside skin. I don't know if putting tiles on there will kill it, but it will run hotter.

I could be wrong, but I was basing it off of this type of information
If the condenser isn't a big grid on the back of the freezer, it will always have a cooling fan nearby to draw room air over the tubes and fins--to dissipate the heat from the tubes and fins.

The high-pressure refrigerant gas, coming from the compressor, flows through the condenser and becomes a liquid. As this occurs, the refrigerant gives off heat. The heat is conducted away from the tubes by the fins.

I have never seen a condenser that would be efficient without some sort of air movement, but I can't say with 100% certainty that there aren't some out there on chest freezers.

Yeah, your right Bobby -- I just did some more digging on my chest freezer and apparently sometimes they do more coils in exchange for the efficiency of each coil being in open air. I, like you, am not sure how much a little vinyl on the outside of the freezer would change that, I can't imagine it's much though.

Latest posts

Back