Hydrometer usage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sippyCUP

Reaction score
I bought a small brewing kit which naturally comes with a hydrometer. The instructions advocated using a thief to put the fermenting wort in a jar to test with the hydrometer, but I've seen people put the (sanitized) hydrometer straight in the frementing bucket, which would a lot easier for me and save me a jar's worth of wort. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

You can do that if the hydrometer is sanitized but it make it hard to get a correct reading because your line-of-sight is impared by the angle of the wort to the top of the bucket.

Ive done that before without too much hassle. Sometimes it turns around on you and you cant see the scale that you need, and the readings can be hard to read through the carboy. Other than that it works and saves a bit of beer (although you loose a convienent excuse to taste test).

- magno

Back