"Do Not Bump or Heat"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSBrewer

Reaction score
Ever noticed that stamped into the bottom of your glass carboy? Today I determined that you can indeed bump them. I had mine upside down balancing on the neck resting on a towel to drain dry. As I was bent over the bath tub rinsing out my blow-off hose it came crashing down, took a chunk out of the side of the bath tub, bashed the hell out of my elbow, and then I caught it before it hit the floor. No damage at all to the carboy as far as I can see! (I was expecting my elbow to start swelling but it seems fine too!)

Here's to fine carboys made in Mexico! :mug:

...and I plan on making a proper carboy drainer.

I wouldn't roll the dice much more. Carboy could have EASILY broken thus becoming lodged in your flesh. Just saying.

I was picking one up to move it from the fermenting area to keg it, and it barely touched the carboy sitting next to it, but the bump resulted in a hole that looked like it had been shot by a BB gun. I stuck some duct tape over the hole to keep the beer in until I could get it into the keg, but I couldn't believe how light of a bump it took to punch the hole.

Back