Sparkeloid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtisdahl

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me the the process for adding this I understand the amount per gallon and the boiling and all that. My question is after boiling do I pour it in and leave it or so I shake the carboy to mix it or stir it I guess should be an option. Any advice would be good

From what i understand if your trying to make a mead your better off without that, meads should be natural as possible. unless you really want a clear drink right away, i would just rerack into a second carboy or even a third.

Meads should be made any way you want to enjoy them. The Honey should be as natural as possible :) WVMJ

From what i understand if your trying to make a mead your better off without that, meads should be natural as possible. unless you really want a clear drink right away, i would just rerack into a second carboy or even a third.

Can someone explain to me the the process for adding this I understand the amount per gallon and the boiling and all that. My question is after boiling do I pour it in and leave it or so I shake the carboy to mix it or stir it I guess should be an option. Any advice would be good

Per http://www.scottlab.com/product-204.aspx for the Hot Mix Sparkolloid product:

To Prepare:
-Make sure you have Hot Mix, not Cold Mix product
-Heat water to boiling [1-2 gallons of water per pound Hot Mix Sparkolloid NF (8-15 L/kg)].
-Slowly stir in the Hot Mix Sparkolloid NF. Maintain temperature above 82°C(180°F) while agitating the mixture constantly until all of the translucent globules of clarifier have been dissolved and the mixture is smooth and creamy (approximately 20-30 minutes).
To Use It:
- While still hot, slowly add the mixture to the wine. Stir to thoroughly incorporate.
-Let the wine settle one week or more, depending somewhat on the volume of wine involved. Then filter, preferably from the top of container.

I found that Sparkolloid alone creates light, fluffy lees but if you are one of those who uses bentonite up front & then uses Sparkolloid much later the lees created by the Sparkolloid fallout are much more compact.

I've used it a couple times. I boiled the sparkloid and poured it into an empty carboy. Then I racked the wine, mead, cyser into the carboy. 4 weeks later, nice and clear.

Back