Gave beer novices yeast farts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thood6

Reaction score
So I handed out homebrew at Sister in laws rehearsal dinner. Recommended everyone do the proper pour and about half listened. The rest will have digestive trouble... :rockin:

The very first person I ever handed a bottle of my homebrew to immediately turned it upside down, and then held it up to the light to admire all the yeast that was now swirling around inside. I could only shake my head.

My latest batch of wheat has been a big hit, with a lot of Kolsch yeast in every bottle. I've been sharing it around and telling everyone to swirl and pour the yeast, and it even tastes great straight out of the bottle. No complaints of digestive trouble from anyone, and I've been fart free after a few nights of heavy consumption!

I drink the dregs out of every bottle.

Don't know why I should volunteer billions of free yeast cells to the sink and septic.

Amen to that. Those little dudes worked their keisters off to provide you with brew, so why doom them to the sewers when you can reap their digestive benefits before dooming their carcasses to the sewer?

I like a small amount of the yeast in the beer, enough to add a touch of body without a yeasty flavour.

Apparently a lot of the gastric issues associated with homebrew come from, not the live yeast, but from unconverted starches in the beer, which the yeast can't consume, but your gut bacteria will have a field day with. In other words, if your homebrew is under attenuated due to poor starch conversion in the mash, you can expect some stinky repercussions.

I did this to myself once. I was/am a seasoned beer and homebrew drinker, but THAT was a rough July 5th :(

BrutalBrew said:
We need a update on how the event went?

It was great. The groomsmen, the broish types if you catch my drifts were the ones slugging them back in the bottle. When I saw them they were taking turns with a bottle of pepto. The house smelled of excrement and regret.

Would this situation maybe have something more to do with an allergy than the yeast really doing anything? I started homebrewing back in August and I've had nights where I drank one or two and have had nights where I drank four or ten. I have yet to notice any difference in my gastrointestinal emissions. Am I the anomoly?

I think people are over thinking this thread. Its about the people's digestive system's that are not used to brewing yeast. Most that drink homebrew get kinda used to the yeast and have less effect on them. People that dont drink homebrew tend to get extreme gas when there digestive track is introduced to the yeast. Of course the science of farts always applies to anyone when talking about yeast and sugars that cause gas from anything ingested. But I beleive this thread was created commenting on the effect to the homebrew newbies at his event and not about what causes farts.

It was great. The groomsmen, the broish types if you catch my drifts were the ones slugging them back in the bottle. When I saw them they were taking turns with a bottle of pepto. The house smelled of excrement and regret.

The joys of sharing homebrew. I gave my father some homebrew when I first started brewing. Next time I talked to him he said "That was good stuff , but I had to stay home the next day because I had so much gas" Funny stuff.

Sir-Brews-Alot said:
Apparently a lot of the gastric issues associated with homebrew come from, not the live yeast, but from unconverted starches in the beer, which the yeast can't consume, but your gut bacteria will have a field day with. In other words, if your homebrew is under attenuated due to poor starch conversion in the mash, you can expect some stinky repercussions.

I believe the same is true of beans.

Maybe just up the ABV to slow those gut bacteria down.

awesome. they'll get their own version of bottle bombs.

+1

Yeah!!!

Bottom bombs at the wedding reception aught to stimulate a bit of mirth:ban:

The joys of sharing homebrew. I gave my father some homebrew when I first started brewing. Next time I talked to him he said "That was good stuff , but I had to stay home the next day because I had so much gas" Funny stuff.

Somewhat similar. Went through a few bottles, about 2.5 litres all told, of stout that I'd brewed, poured 'til all the dregs were drained into the glasses, with my dad, then moved onto an ESB. At the end of that bottle of ESB he notices the yeast in the bottom of it and, as I go to pour some into his glass, he says "No thanks, I'll be sh1ttin' through the eye of a needle all day tomorrow if I drink that".

Didn't have the heart to tell him the ESB was the least of his worries.

It really depends how long the beer has been bottled. If it's pretty young (2-4 weeks) then there's plenty of live and ACTIVE yeast to make some noise (pun intended).

If it's been bottled for over 3 months, I wouldn't expect the yeast to reactivate that quickly, since the normal digestive tract is what, 6-12 hours?

That being said, fresh hefeweizen in Germany always gave "eine kleine nachtmusik".

MC

Back