Mold or am I ok? Pic included

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abedrinkin

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm not a total newbie as I'm on batch 7 but I'm not well versed either. Making BB Imperial Pale Ale. I sanitized well just as I've always done and in the secondary these white spots of film with very small bubbles have popped up after 2 days, nothing fuzzy like mold though. I'm only concerned as this hasn't happened to me before. Am I going to be OK with this batch or is this one a goner? Sorry for the newbie question, I thank you guys in advance.

Cheers,

Dave.
image.jpg

Looks like CO2

I could be wrong though. I ferment in buckets so I never see stuff like this

Looks fine to me. Very large bubbles, fuzz, moonscapes - those would make me worry. This looks fine.

Looks like the start of an infection to me with the film on top of the beer.

Definitely! It's not normal, and it's an infection of some sort starting. It looks like a lot of headspace, but I don't see any krausen ring. Is it in a "new" carboy ('secondary') with too much headspace? That is what it looks like.

Edit- I see it's in a "secondary" (clearing vessel). There's a lot of headspace, and it looks like you've picked up some infection as a result of the racking and large amount of headspace.

The more I look at it though it kind of looks like the "film" might be outside the carboy. I really cannot tell for sure

I would trust Yooper when it comes to the realm of infections. Wow that was weird saying that:)

Just because my glass is half full I would try and wipe the top of the carboy off just to see if that film is on the carboy or not. Not knowing how long it was in the fermenter I am hoping you racked it to soon and it is just finishing up

But I am going to have to say my glass is always half full but if I had a infection my carboy would be full on empty and I would be a cleaning fool.

Good luck man

I would trust Yooper when it comes to the realm of infections.

Um, thanks?!?!? :drunk:

I've never actually seen anything like that in my beer, but I've seen wine photos of that kind of growth with headspace. So I'm not speaking from experience, thank goodness!

It's only in a brewing forum where a conversation about infections is ok, I think!

I did rack too soon, admittedly I only left it in the primary for a week, my brother is coming in from out of town in 6 weeks and he's been wanting to taste a home brew, aside from my instincts I did rush this one. Is it going to be salvageable? No film on the carboy itself, just on the top of the brew. Again, lots of small bubbles, doesn't appear to be mold. Major lesson learned! I'm normally incredibly patient.

I did rack too soon, admittedly I only left it in the primary for a week, my brother is coming in from out of town in 6 weeks and he's been wanting to taste a home brew, aside from my instincts I did rush this one. Is it going to be salvageable? No film on the carboy itself, just on the top of the brew. Again, lots of small bubbles, doesn't appear to be mold. Major lesson learned! I'm normally incredibly patient.

Probably not salvageable, unfortunately.

It just seems like an infection. You can wait and see, of course, but it doesn't seem like it will work out.

Definately an infection-- Send it to me I'll dispose of it properly. ;)

(Somebody had to say it first)

Seriously, If you racked it after a week and those are small bubbles, you are probably fine. The yeast is still working and most likely have created a bit of CO2. This CO2 will probably keep your beer from oxidizing and force out any outside air. So my advice is to leave the airlock on for at least another week. See how it progresses and I think you'll be pleased to see your worrying was for nothing!

I believe the film was on the carboy and not on the beer. The little bubbles on the beer I think are fine.

(Of course Yooper is more knowledgeable than me. Nice Tom Waits pic Yooper, been meaning to compliment you on that for sometime!)

Sorry Yooper. When I read it before I hit the post button I saw how it looked and thought to change it but.......well you know:cross:

OP If you have 6 weeks till your brother shows up you can still knock a session beer out in time. 2 weeks fermenting and 3 weeks in the bottle with a week to spare.

I have looked at tons of info on infections including most threads on here. I look for spiderwebs or jellyfish looking as most common but I am sure there are more kinds. I have also read many things about CO2 and yeast rafts looking like an infection. My thinking is if it is an infection you are going to have to clean it anyway so unless there is a reason not to I would wait a week to see if it goes away.

I opened it up and nothing about the aroma is off, very hoppy, slight malt, and alcohol. I'm hoping that I just racked too soon and the bubbles are the work of the unfinished yeast. Finger crossed. Major lesson learned. I greatly appreciate everyone's input and advice.

Definitely! It's not normal, and it's an infection of some sort starting. It looks like a lot of headspace, but I don't see any krausen ring. Is it in a "new" carboy ('secondary') with too much headspace? That is what it looks like.

Edit- I see it's in a "secondary" (clearing vessel). There's a lot of headspace, and it looks like you've picked up some infection as a result of the racking and large amount of headspace.

Ok, now i am comfused too much head space in a secondary can cause an infection? Yikes I just racked a low volume batch (4 gallons) on oak and hops. I thought the worry was oxidation

I hope it works for you man. I have to say I hate these threads. Everytime I see something that looks like a infection I go and check out my beer:D

Infections I've seen all seem to like to hug the sides of the surface, up against the carboy wall. Yeast rafts appear in the middle, much like what you have there.

I don't like the little filmy edges of those rafts, but a better pic will tell much.

I dunno. That's a perfect ring there, almost like it came from the bottom of the carboy. I wouldn't be so quick to dump.

Take off that airlock and put your camera over the hole and take a pic and give us some more data.

Good plan! I was looking at the white stuff with the "legs" growing from it. If that's just a bad picture, then that would be great news.

I hope it works for you man. I have to say I hate these threads. Everytime I see something that looks like a infection I go and check out my beer:D

Thank you sir. I've been searching everywhere and it seems like it may just be CO2 but who knows, fingers crossed big time.

It looks infected to me. I've never seen yeast floaters look like that, but I've been wrong before.

If its infected you could try a Camden tab and pitch new yeast at bottling.

Or let it sour and see what you get.

Im not 100% as i see plenty of more skilled and educated people have commented but i had a similar lookin situation goong ln in my secondary vessel. I had a fim on mine becuse i accidentally had my blow off tube vacuum and suck in the 12-16oz of starsan/water solution because i opened my spigot to rack without taking the blowoff tube out of the starsan (dumb noob move)

Anyway could that possibly have happened to you? Aka did you leave some water starsan on the bottom of yur carboy after cleaning?

Also i had similar looking but much smaller bubbles from co2 like the others may have mentioned. And similar amount of head space. Like i said though maybe thats what you have going on (hopefully)

Maybe the others can compare our pics and shed some light.

P.S my batch turned out A O.K. Good luck!

image-271935581.jpg

There is a SLIGHT chance that a tad of starsan was possibly left in the carboy but I'm usually very thorough, again always a chance. The aroma is great so I think (hopefully) that I'm going to be OK. This is just a first for me granted 7 brews isn't a large sample size.

Doesn't look good to me, but I would definitely wait it out to see how/if it spreads.

I would also put the bottles in a Tupperware bin when you bottle. Cleaning up bottle bombs is no fun.

Doesn't look good to me, but I would definitely wait it out to see how/if it spreads.

I would also put the bottles in a Tupperware bin when you bottle. Cleaning up bottle bombs is no fun.

I didn't know Tupperware was still around! I haven't heard that word for a few years!:)

Hey all,

I'm not a total newbie as I'm on batch 7 but I'm not well versed either. Making BB Imperial Pale Ale. I sanitized well just as I've always done and in the secondary these white spots of film with very small bubbles have popped up after 2 days, nothing fuzzy like mold though. I'm only concerned as this hasn't happened to me before. Am I going to be OK with this batch or is this one a goner? Sorry for the newbie question, I thank you guys in advance.

Cheers,

Dave.

Abedrinkin, dude, That's what I refer to as "White Mold". The spores for that crap are rampant where I brew. It leaves your brew with a smell of dirty jock straps and very musty taste. Drop a PM if you want to know how I avoid this plaque.....

See, to me, it looks like the film is on the glss, not on the beer. In that case, th white spots are nothing more than CO2/yeast rafts.

OP, I think you are fine. If it still smells and tastes like beer, I say bottle it.

Just thought to run this by you guys, there were a couple of similar "bubbles" right after I initially transferred, see pic.

brew.jpg

See, to me, it looks like the film is on the glss, not on the beer. In that case, th white spots are nothing more than CO2/yeast rafts.

OP, I think you are fine. If it still smells and tastes like beer, I say bottle it.

I haven't been brewing all that long, but I was a winemaker long before I started brewing (25+ years for wine, only 13 or so for beer).

I've never once seen "white spots" be yeast rafts! Yeast clumpies are not bright white like mold is- they are beige-ish at best. White, and irregular edges like that, almost fuzzy looking, aren't yeast. It's really hard to tell in the picture, though, and maybe it's not white and irregular and growing.

Now I'm interested to see how this turns out. The film is definitely on the beer, the OP even confirmed that, its a film on the beer. The spots being there right after racking is interesting. Everyone here wants you to keep it, so don't throw it out, give it another week and lets all see what happens. If it is an infection maybe it'll be a good one and you'll get a cool sour IPA......doubtful.

I haven't been brewing all that long, but I was a winemaker long before I started brewing (25+ years for wine, only 13 or so for beer).

I've never once seen "white spots" be yeast rafts! Yeast clumpies are not bright white like mold is- they are beige-ish at best. White, and irregular edges like that, almost fuzzy looking, aren't yeast. It's really hard to tell in the picture, though, and maybe it's not white and irregular and growing.

Yea, it is hard to tell. I've had mold like that growing on my beer. Gawd that's a downer when I see that. It's usually accompanied by a dankness in the taste and smell.

Back