Advice for first time rhizome buyer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider123

Reaction score
I live in Maine and I'm looking to plant some rhizomes this spring. I guess I have two questions. I see there are a couple places posting pre-buys already but the selections are generally limited to 8-10 varieties.

If I'm looking at buying maybe 8-10 rhizomes (maybe 2 of 4-5 varieties) is it necessary to pre-buy or is that for folks buying larger amounts?

Will the varieties that places offer increase as the spring gets closer? I'm looking for EKG, Saaz, Hallertau or Tettnang, Northern Brewer.

Thanks

shouldn't see any increase as the season gets closer but you'll likely see a decrease as certain varieties sell out. I'd pre order now. it doesn't cost you any more and you'll lock down what you want for sure

I waited last year till they came in at my lhbs and they sold out a bunch before i got there

Is it better to buy rhizomes that arrive in March or Fully rooted plants in April?

I live in Colorado if that helps.

if you're talking about rhizomes vs. crowns (like from great lakes hops) then go with the crown for sure.

Well I may still buy a few more in March/April, but I just pre-ordered a few from The Thyme Garden to be delivered in March. I got 2 UK Kent Goldings rhizomes and 2 German Hallertauer rhizomes. I wanted to at least know I would have two versions that I wanted to grow.

I like what I've read about Dave from freshops.com but he is not selling till spring and doesn't list what he will be selling. So I may pick up a few from him, but wanted to make sure I got the "foreign models" I wanted.

I'll be preordering quite soon - the wife is gunna kill me when she gets the credit card statement :cross:

I live in Maine and I'm looking to plant some rhizomes this spring. I guess I have two questions. I see there are a couple places posting pre-buys already but the selections are generally limited to 8-10 varieties.

If I'm looking at buying maybe 8-10 rhizomes (maybe 2 of 4-5 varieties) is it necessary to pre-buy or is that for folks buying larger amounts?

Will the varieties that places offer increase as the spring gets closer? I'm looking for EKG, Saaz, Hallertau or Tettnang, Northern Brewer.

Thanks

Go with the hops crowns if you can find them. Since they already have an established root ball, the plants won't devote as much energy into producing a root structure and can focus more of it's energy into vegetative growth (and then, flowering).

Thanks again.

If I buy anymore I would like Saaz but I don't see many places selling that one. Maybe centennial for Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde.

Cider123 said:

Thanks

What part of maine? I too live in maine (farmington area) and I am looking to re-start growing hops( I had 2 varieties a few years ago but they didn't survive a move). I am considering hop starts instead of rhizomes and I am looking at cascade, nugget, centennial, columbus and chinook. Once your hops get established maybe we swap some variates.

Does anyone know if hop starts will produce th first year better then rhizomes?

Back