Brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikerock

Reaction score
Hey guys...I have a glass flat top stove. Anyone out there using the same type of stove and what kind of pot do you use?

I had one in my old apartment. It had dual burners. It was great actually. It easily did full boils using a Stainless Steel 16'ish gallon stock pot I got on ebay for $60. I got a deal on that pot, have not seen another thats this high quality for anywhere close to that.

I use a 22 Qt. Tramontina pot with laminated bottom to make 4 gal. batches.

My stove is an old GE with a 2000 Watt coil element. Some may laugh, but it works.

I would be concerned about the weight on a glass top, but it might be able to handle a 2.5 gal. batch, or a partial boil.

There's only one way to find out. Good Luck!:mug:

Weight was no issue...I did 7 gallon boils on mine. Not only did it handle the weight, it handled the volume of the boil.

No, the stove had dual burners on 2 of the 4 burners. So I had the option of using the inner and outer rings, hence the dual part, and it boiled the full volume easily like that. Kind of like an extra large burner, but you did'nt have to use the full burner all the time. You had the ability to choose when you wanted the bigger one. Make sense?

Yes it does, Thanks. Sooner or later I will have to upgrade. That type is worth looking at. :mug:

If you have an induction stove(which i think your talking about) then you need to make sure that you get a pot that has a perfectly flat bottom when full and on your stove top.

Unless there is direct contact with the heating element a lot of them dont put out much if any heat.

Mine was not induction, But I have heard good things about them. As long as a magnet will stick easily to the bottom of your pot then it will work with induction. Least thats what I have read. Im looking for a single induction burner to start doing brewing classes at my shop so I have researched them a bit. Wal-Mart has a single for $58'ish I believe.

I have a Max Burton 6000, 1800 Watt induction hob for heating mash/sparge water. It works very well, but I'm not sure it would handle the main boil. They do make a 3500 watt unit which should handle 5 gal. easily.

Mine was not induction, But I have heard good things about them. As long as a magnet will stick easily to the bottom of your pot then it will work with induction. Least thats what I have read. Im looking for a single induction burner to start doing brewing classes at my shop so I have researched them a bit. Wal-Mart has a single for $58'ish I believe.

They can be, but ive also heard stories about people who have pots that have bottoms that dome inwards, or even outwards..this prevents everything but a small portion of the pot from touching the induction coils, then it cant even heat 1 gallon of water.

The induction coil is under the glass top so the pot never touches it. I have a graniteware steel pot that is slightly domed. It works well.

I think the OP might have a Radiant cooktop. It may not be as good as WyomingBrewers cooktop.

I used a basic 10 gallon SS stock pot. Recently bought a heavier duty pot and a turkey frier. While the glasstop sufficed the turkey fryer does an amazing job.

I have a glass cooktop stove and I use a alum 8gal pot. I do full boils, it takes a little bit to heat up but it beats brewing outside in the winter in new england.

I use my glasstop when I'm doing extract partial boils, but anything more than 4 gallons and it has a hard time. I use my burner and 8.5 gallon pot for my full boils.

I have a 21 quart S.S. flat-bottomed 'canner' that I use when I'm canning salsa and jelly.
I'm only doing partials, but my glass top has no problem with 3 gallons of wort...

I have a glass cooktop stove and I use a alum 8gal pot. I do full boils, it takes a little bit to heat up but it beats brewing outside in the winter in new england.

Same here. I use an 11 gallon turkey fryer stainless pot on a regular maytag glass-top stove and do full boils (7-8 gallon preboil volume) with no problems. The pot usually gets on the stove at about 162F and takes about 20 minutes to reach boil which gives me time to clean up the mash equipment. Once the hotbreak is over, I maintain the boil at about 8.5 (dial goes to 10).

I have a glass top stove and use an aluminum 20qt tamale pot. I only do partial mash/extract brewing so I haven't had any issues.

Back