CO2 tank inside/outside kegerator/regulator ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jahsteve

Reaction score
Okay so i have a dual tap haier kegerator... i have a homebrew hook-up as well as a commercial hook-up going and all is okay. (heady topper clone and a Berkshire pale ale if your wondering)... The manufacturer recommends that i have the 5lb Co2 inside for the dual tap kegerator, with the regulator on the CO2 tank it just barely fits. the regulator, butts up against the left side wall. Obvioulsy the shelf should have been on the right so the regulator would be basically hanging out in the middle of the fridge. MY Question is;
Does it really matter if the CO2 tank is inside/outside? i would like to switch to a dual body regulator so i can control psi on both kegs seperatly. i don't believe the new regulator will fit as the keg lies now. Any help appreciated... :mug:

No, it does not, though keeping it cold does help with force carbonating a bit (I'd say a couple/few days). I did a bunch of ideal gas law calculations once and found you'd be using an extra 3-4 grams of CO2 per keg (dispensing-wise) if you kept the tank warm, which is clearly negligible.

Makes no functional difference, but an outside tank is easier to work with and reduces crowding inside. My first keggerator had the tank inside, then I moved it out and added two more taps. Both of my current systems have the tank and primary regulator outside and the secondary regulator inside.

I've got a T in the line outside, so I can force carbonate.

Back