Wine for a beer drinker. Because I don't already spend enough money.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phenry

Reaction score
So I've lately just had the urge to start trying wines lately. No real reason, just kind of like when I wanted to get into craft beers. I know just about nothing about wine, other than there's red or white and dry or sweet. I'm a big fan of IPAs, stouts, brown ales, and most all Belgian ales, Saisons in particular if that has any correlation to what wine I would most enjoy.

Are there any wines I should start out looking for to get my feet wet? I'm in the middle of Missouri if that makes any difference on availability.

I love Spanish Tempranillos, things from the Rioja region in Spain. Malbecs are also high on my list. I suggest getting a Carmenere as well, they are grown in Chile these days.

Try a old vine California Zinfandel they are a big bold strong red wine. Price is not to high.

Agreed. They're often very fruit forward, with an almost "jammy" fruit quality about it (think, blackberry jam) but they can also have qualities of tobacco, smoke, or leather. Zins are one of my favorite wine to enjoy on a chilly fall evening. Great with a cheese plate or better yet, roast beef, hearty soups, think "comfort food".

If you're looking for a good white wine, I think the Fume Blanc from Chateau St Jean (California) is very good. It's a very food-friendly wine with hints of apple or lemon, good with light foods, fish or chicken. Not too oaky.

If you want to try a primo, full bodied, red wine, or two, and don't mind spending around $30 on a bottle (yeah, I know, seems a bit steep but really is worth it to see what the good wines can be like) try and find an Amarone or a Brunello. 30 bucks gets you the lower/entry level of those wines but it'll be a flavour experience.

I highly recommend Lindeman's Cab/Suv. It's an australian red with great character.

It's best if you buy a 1.5L bottle, use about a cup to a cup and a half's worth to prepare true home made french onion soup, then pair the wine with it during dinner :D

Haven't seen any around where I am these last few years but used to be able to get hold of Tyrrel's Long Flat Shiraz. That was about $12 to $13 a bottle here.

It depends on how much you like viscosity (chewy-ness) vs austerity in your wine. The cooler the climate, the less unfermentable sugars (glycerol, etc) are in the wine in place of good acidity. The hotter the climate, the riper the fruit, the more chewy and fruity but less acidic. Generally, the 'new world' wine regions are a little hotter than Europe, on average, and you get more 'chewy', more 'biting into a plum' fruity, where old worlds give you funkiness and spice rack qualities with better food friendly acidity. These are grand generalizations, of course.

It's similar to comparing the flavor profiles of a:
Cali APA- big bold inescapable grapefruit, but otherwise clean taste profile. Nuance and finesse maybe not in the first sentence use to describe them.
and a
Belgian PA- peppery, a little banana, but otherwise drier and more austere, provided you like spice, more drinkable because it's drier (although I'm not referring to the high abv stuff)

If you like the former, go for USA and Australian wines, etc. If you like the latter, spain, italy, france. It's hard to buy a Cotes du Rhone (which is a French Grenache based wine) and not like it, but the general American public will usually like the big fruit wines more often.

Studying wine is the study of geography and place, more so than beer where it is more of geographical historical precedent. e.g. No one can make a Cotes du Rhone in their house (well, except the french), but I can make a Saison.

EDIT: sorry if this was florid, but I'm paid to talk like this for a living.

It depends on how much you like viscosity (chewy-ness) vs austerity in your wine. The cooler the climate, the less unfermentable sugars (glycerol, etc) are in the wine in place of good acidity. The hotter the climate, the riper the fruit, the more chewy and fruity but less acidic. Generally, the 'new world' wine regions are a little hotter than Europe, on average, and you get more 'chewy', more 'biting into a plum' fruity, where old worlds give you funkiness and spice rack qualities with better food friendly acidity. These are grand generalizations, of course.

It's similar to comparing the flavor profiles of a:
Cali APA- big bold inescapable grapefruit, but otherwise clean taste profile. Nuance and finesse maybe not in the first sentence use to describe them.
and a
Belgian PA- peppery, a little banana, but otherwise drier and more austere, provided you like spice, more drinkable because it's drier (although I'm not referring to the high abv stuff)

If you like the former, go for USA and Australian wines, etc. If you like the latter, spain, italy, france. It's hard to buy a Cotes du Rhone (which is a French Grenache based wine) and not like it, but the general American public will usually like the big fruit wines more often.

Studying wine is the study of geography and place, more so than beer where it is more of geographical historical precedent. e.g. No one can make a Cotes du Rhone in their house (well, except the french), but I can make a Saison.

EDIT: sorry if this was florid, but I'm paid to talk like this for a living.

Not overly complicated at all. With this bit of guidance from you guys I feel like I can at least make a slightly educated first few purchases. Will it end poorly for my wallet? Probably.

Two Buck Chuck. It is cheap and is normally in the top 10 for ratings.

When I first got into (craft) beer seriously, I had a blast just tasting at least one of every style. Then I got into wine, and I've been having a similar blast trying as many varieties of grapes as possible. Unlike the beer world, in the wine world, there's a far greater variance between producers and even between bottles.

Back