"Big Red" Kamado Kooker at Menards

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldyote

Reaction score
I picked up one of these at Mendards for $348.00

I have a Large Big Green Egg but wanted a cooker/smoker for our cabin. The price was right but I'm curious if anyone on the forum has one or knows anything about them. I can't find a thing on the web.

Does it have a little port on the side to add lump while cooking? What is it made out of? I've seen a red ceramic that looked glazed on the outside with that port. It wasn't at Menards and it was about the same price as BGE but only had like a 5 year warranty.

It's double wall insulated steel with a porcelain coating on the inside and on the firebox. No port on the side but the center of the cooking crate comes out so you can access that area without removing the entire grate. Warranty is 1 year on any defective part and 5 years on rust/burn through.

Sounds like the Bubba Keg. My Menards didn't have anything like that, was just there this morning. Sounds like it will suit your needs.

Never used one but they sent me a t-shirt for contributing to their new recipe section on their site. :D

can you post a pic of this thing?

Still in the box. I'm going to use it at our cabin so it won't be for a few weeks that we start opening things up. I'll take picture as soon as I put together, but maybe before then the company will actually have some info about it on-line.

I am looking at the big red at menards. it seems like a comparable grill to the BGE (my neighbor has a BGE XL). Anyone used it or have more info on it? Seems weird that there is not info on the net.

I sent the guys at BBQ Guru a question about what kind of adapter I would need. They have not heard of it either. Here is a picture of the box.

IMG_8025.jpg

I called char-griller to ask about the Big Red Kamado Kooker. They called me back letting me know that it is not on their site because it is currently a "Menards Exclusive". The lid (i was looking at it at Menards) is thick like a BGE, so I asked if it was hollow, she said it is filled with standard stove insulation. There is a shelf about 2 inches below the grates so I asked if there is a plate I could buy for indirect heat, she had no idea what I was talking about... it would be nice if it fits BGE accessories. One other key point is that she said it will be on their site once Lowes starts selling it in Black within the next couple months. I also got out of her that she thinks lowes will be selling it cheaper.

I really looked this over at Menards and I was impressed, it felt really solid, especially the stand components. No felt for the lid seal, it is more of a oven door "rope like" seal.

They emailed me today as well. They do not actually have the covers yet so everything is on order/backorder. I sent the guys at the BBQ Guru the measurements for the bottom vent and they are going to get back to me about an adapter.

The problem I see is that it's enameled like most kettle grills and when it chips it's gonna start to rust. So I'd guess it'll last 5-10 years like a weber. Actually, the grill industry claims that most grills only last 3 yrs. But I'll assume it's built pretty well since I haven't actually seen it. Obviously it allows many more people to experience the awesomeness that is a kamado style grill, but for my money I think I'd invest in a kamado that'll last a lifetime like a BGE or my favorite a Kamado Joe.

I love that it has cast iron grates, I can't believe the others don't include it.

I'm looking forward to giving it a try and comparing it to the BGE. We will use this guy about 4 months out of the year and the other eight months he will live inside. So assuming the 3 to 5 year prediction is based on grills that live outside year round I'll hope than means I get 10 or 15 years out it :).

I totally agree, and it's seems your situation is unique; and you have a BGE to compare with. I'm just thinking out loud. I wonder why Menards stopped selling the Bubba Keg? Perhaps it was simply a business decision. Good luck with it and keep us posted when you start using it.

I bought one about a 2 weeks ago after seeing it a couple times at Menards. I looked high and low on the web for info and finally found this thread.
Assembly was pretty easy but the fit was not very tight between the ash pan and Kamado bottom. It latched tight but I could still see a small amount light coming in, maybe my ash pan is warped?
I started it up anyway and got it extra hot to burn it in for about an hour and then tried to damper it down with the vents but they had little effect on reducing the temp. I was hoping that it would be like my Weber Smokey Mountain and quickly respond to any damper changes, nope. Now its back to winter in SD so I have not had another chance to use it. The top vent needs to be tighter as it blows around in the slightest breeze, I will ad a washer to fix that.
So the jury is still out for mine.

Well that is not what I wanted to hear. Big Green Egg sells a high temperature gasket for the lid. If you glued the gasket to the ashpan I wonder if that would be enough to seal any leaks?

I considered that also, but I was thinking a high temp stove gasket. The ash pan seal is wide but very thin and should be easy to modify. I plan to call the company and request another ash pan when I have a chance.

Even with the problems I think there is something neat about the grille that I like, its got character.

I have not put mine together yet but I did take a look at the parts. I sent the company an email because I noticed a cracked piece of plastic on the slide handle. I was also curious about the cover listed in the manual. They emailed back saying that because the grill was so new they didn't have parts yet. She promised to send a replacement and a cover as soon as the parts were in. I'm a bit torn on what to do. We have a grill at our cabin and I was really looking to pick up something I could use as an outdoor oven and smoker. I have a BBQ Guru for my BGE and also contacted them to find out about getting an adapter but of course they have not heard of this grill either so I've not heard back yet about the cost of having something made.

Good luck with the seal. I'd really like to hear if you have success and are able to get control over the low temps.

It should warm up around here later in the week so I should have another chance to fire it up. I will report back here with my thoughts.

I started it up anyway and got it extra hot to burn it in for about an hour and then tried to damper it down with the vents but they had little effect on reducing the temp. I was hoping that it would be like my Weber Smokey Mountain and quickly respond to any damper changes, nope.

It's a double edged sword with kamado grills. They hold temps great but can be a pain to cool down. You need to sneak up on the target temperature of you'll wait hours for it to cool.

Guru or Stoker control temp well but I've never had a problem getting the temp down not using it. I made some chicken breasts last night and on the start got my BGE up to about 500 to clean the grate up, adjusted the daisy wheel to my usual spot, walked in the house, grabbed the platter of chicken, my beer, walked out and my egg was coming down through 400, put the breasts on shut the lid and 350.

Guru or Stoker control temp well but I've never had a problem getting the temp down not using it.

The problems come into play if you get a roaring furnace and then try to use it as a smoker. If you get the egg up to 700 degrees and your whole firebox is glowing red, its very hard to bring the temps down to anything below 300.

When I'm going to use the egg as a smoker I load up the firebox with lump but start two or three pieces of lump going in metal can. When those two or three pieces are glowing I set them right in the middle of the full fire box.

Then I put in the guru, set it at 220 and I never have to do another thing.

The problems come into play if you get a roaring furnace and then try to use it as a smoker. If you get the egg up to 700 degrees and your whole firebox is glowing red, its very hard to bring the temps down to anything below 300.

When I'm going to use the egg as a smoker I load up the firebox with lump but start two or three pieces of lump going in metal can. When those two or three pieces are glowing I set them right in the middle of the full fire box.

Then I put in the guru, set it at 220 and I never have to do another thing.

Why the hell would you let it get to 700 if you intend to use it as a smoker cooking at temps around 225?

When I go low and slow I either use a MAPP or two started blocks cut in half and placed in a diamond around the center, light it up, and 10 minutes later put the Stoker on, the highest I have seen in when doing that is about 350. I only go nuclear for steaks and pizza and when I do steaks I sear at 700+ for 90 seconds per side, steaks come off and then bring it down to 500 and finish them. 700+ to 500 is less than 10 minutes because that's how long I let the steaks settle. I've never had a problem manually bringing the temp down but granted this is with the Egg, maybe other Komodo's are harder to control or bring temps down but I have a buddy with a Primo and never heard him complain either.

Why the hell would you let it get to 700 if you intend to use it as a smoker cooking at temps around 225?

I guess I should have been more to the point.

Once the egg heats up beyond 300 its hard to bring it back down to smoking temps.

I definately got mine hot for about 30 minutes 650 +- deg. After that I shut all the vents down even latched the lid and could only get it to drop 100-150 degrees. 2-3 hours later it was still over 300 fully closed up.

I contacted the company, they have no parts and suggested a store exchange.

Used it again and once I got the charcoal started up could not get it to drop below 400, must have multiple air leaks. Once again after I was done cooking I shut it down all they way with the top+bottom vent latched the lid shut and an hour later it was still around 400.

Finally saw one today, it looked alright and I couldn't tell if the fit when the lid was shut was a little off because it may have been put together sort of halfassed as a floor display or what it was. The little latch to pull the lid down seemed a bit odd too but I guess since it wasn't really all that heavy needed something to help seal it.

Finally saw one today, it looked alright and I couldn't tell if the fit when the lid was shut was a little off because it may have been put together sort of halfassed as a floor display or what it was. The little latch to pull the lid down seemed a bit odd too but I guess since it wasn't really all that heavy needed something to help seal it.

I appreciate you taking the time to post. The fact that the company did not have any parts and that I coudn't find a thing out about it worried me a little. Now that I've heard some of what you are dealing with I decided to return mine. We ended up buying another BGE for our cabin. It was twice the price but I know what I'm getting.

I realize you have already used the cooker, but would it be worth talking to your local Menards or the directly with the company? At those temps you are not able to use it as it was advertised.

I appreciate you taking the time to post. The fact that the company did not have any parts and that I coudn't find a thing out about it worried me a little. Now that I've heard some of what you are dealing with I decided to return mine. We ended up buying another BGE for our cabin. It was twice the price but I know what I'm getting.

I realize you have already used the cooker, but would it be worth talking to your local Menards or the directly with the company? At those temps you are not able to use it as it was advertised.

I didn't buy one, I just saw it in the store. Menards though, is like Walmart, they will take just about anything back LOL

I was set on one of these but am also holding off. I can see how it can get too hot considering the vents are weak. I don't want to think of ways to modify it, might as well buy an egg that I can use without messing with it.

Used it again and once I got the charcoal started up could not get it to drop below 400, must have multiple air leaks. Once again after I was done cooking I shut it down all they way with the top+bottom vent latched the lid shut and an hour later it was still around 400.

I have the same issue with mine... I just bought it today. The charcoal ash pan has a decent gap on the front of mine... I belive thats where the air is rushing in. I dont see this thing getting below 350 though. Kinda blows

How much coal is being used? Are you putting it in white hot? Can less coal be used and then closing the lid while only a portion of the coal is hot? I'm just thinking of some things my bge friend does.

I have the same issue with mine... I just bought it today. The charcoal ash pan has a decent gap on the front of mine... I belive thats where the air is rushing in. I dont see this thing getting below 350 though. Kinda blows

I'd pick up a big green egg gasket (self stick kind) and run it around the top of the ashpan. I think there would be enough surface to fix the leak.

Definately go with the gasket material. The silicone wont last after repeated ash tray removal. Its BS that this new grill is so leaky! I saw one at Menards this week and it seemed relatively sturdy. I did notice that the top damper was flimsy and didn't seal well though. The manufacturer needs to go back to the drawing board. I'd return it if it were mine.

Back