$12 false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
randyisrad, have you used it yet? How does the PVC stand-up to boiling? Why not go with copper / stainless for the fittings.

randyisrad, have you used it yet? How does the PVC stand-up to boiling? Why not go with copper / stainless for the fittings.

Not PVC, it's CPVC and CPVC is fine up to 200 degrees and I'm not going to boil it since it's a false bottom for my MLT.
I didn't go with copper because I'm a cheap-o and I had the CPVC on hand.

gotcha - I need something for my boil kettle (recently converted keg). With a plate chiller, I need clean wort.

I use paint straning bag and will also use something on the pickup tube once I piece everything together. Hopefuly, the right combo will give me clean wort.

I bet if you called it a braid guard or something nobody would make fun of it, looks like a good mod.

What's your sparge method?

Did you really name one of your kids Clarabelle? I don't know whether that makes you awesome, or terrible LOL

I don't see any advantage with the colander over the braid. The braid would have been fine without it. Next time save the $4.95 and go braid only.:D

I don't see any advantage with the colander over the braid. The braid would have been fine without it. Next time save the $4.95 and go braid only.:D

I thought about it, but I figured the strainer would hold up the weight of the grain. Although I do like the savings idea :)

+1

I routinely mash 20-30# of grain on top of a braid, and have never had an issue. A+ for ingenuity though.

Back