Advice on Adding flavors to a hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddrayne10

Reaction score
Hi I am about to brew a Hefeweizen today and I had a last minute idea on adding some honey and orange flavor to the batch and I just would like some feedback please. This is my recipe:
5 pounds German pilsner malt
4 pounds red wheat malt
mash at 153 for one hour
Strike 2.6 gallons
Sparge 4.2 gallons
.5oz of hallertaur Pellet hops 60 min
Irish moss 10 min
WLP300 Hefeweizen yeast (made a starter with dme light copper)
I have natural honey from the the store that i wanted to add about 8oz and i also wanted to add orange flavor. For the orange flavor i wanted to know if i could use orange marmalade or i also have orange peel dried(.5oz) Does anyone have any suggestions on how i would use these flavors? I also plan to add oranges at secondary fermentation. Thanks for reading

Adding honey won't impart any honey flavor. Honey is almost completely fermentable, so all that will be left is a little bit of a floral nose, which will almost certainly be covered up by something else. For honey flavor you'll need to use honey malt.

As far as orange flavor goes, dried sweet orange peel is frequently used to add the flavor, but I'm not sure how much to add.

Your recipe is far more "advanced" than anything I have attempted, but I used the Specialty Extract Kit German Hefeweizen- Extract KIT235 from morebeer.com My buddy and I each started home-brewing with this kit with advice from another much more experienced friend (we call him "The Rainman of Home Brewing").

Anyway, the 'recipe' we have used to doctor this thing up is to add the zest (bought a good zester and it takes seconds, instead of using the side of a serated knife or a dull cheese grater) of two large oranges (I found some Japanese tangarine oranges that are about the size of a softball but shaped like a football, that worked best) and two lemons, as well as a tsp of dried sage and a tsp of dried coriander. The finished product tastes almost exactly like Blue Moon, which happens to be one of my wife's favorites and is the reason she authorized my initial plunge into home-brewing. :)

So, in summary:

zest (exterior scrapings) of 2-3 oranges or tangy tangarines
zest of 2 lemons
1 tsp dried sage (not fresh, apparently that is important)
1 tstp dried coriander

Hope this was helpful!

thanks for the responces but for the dried orange peel when would i add it? at flameout? or last 5 min boil?

you do realize the 300 gives you banana/clove esters?

orange zest would be best used in the secondary fermenter. you can also use orange extract to taste.

boiled orange pieces with the pith will give some bitterness.

Honey won't give much flavor, if anything honey will boost the alcohol level and make the brew a little thinner, although the amount you are using isn't going to do much.

Right or wrong (probably wrong but it worked for me), we have added the orange/lemon zest and herbs mentioned above, between 50-20 mins from the end of the boil.

Boil, add kit ingredients, low steady boil for 40 mins, add zest/herbs, boil 5-20 mins, cool, transfer to carboy.

Thanks for the advice i did not add any flavors to the beer but i plan on making an american style hef next time around and adding some orange. Thanks for all the responces. I had a blow off but other than that it is almost time to put into secondary. I will let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks again sorry that i am such i a noobie.

I took advice from this when making super-simple hefeweizen and it comes out absolutely wonderful with a deep orange color. I lived in Germany for a year and drank a ton of hefe, and I've done side by side tastings with some of the better imported hefes, and this stands up really well - even though its unconventional. Some of my friends have said they prefer it to imported German hefes. Here's the recipe.

6lbs Bavarian wheat DME, 60 min boil
0.5oz Northern Brewer hops, 60 min boil
1 tsp dried sage, 15m
1 tsp dried coriander, 15m
1 tsp dried orange zest, 15m
1 tsp dried lemon zest, 15m
WLP300 Hefeweizen yeast

Ferments in around 7-10 days at 70ish F. I bottle with around 1.5 cups of DME, leave at room temperature for 1 week, then move to the fridge at around 35F for 2 weeks. The last batch was a little bitter initially, but after another couple of weeks in the fridge it mellowed out and was terrific. One thing I find that really makes a difference to enjoying a hefe is using the proper glass - the original tall, vase-like hefe glass - as it keeps the head going to the end of the glass and also forces your nose into all those wonderful hefe aromas; and, of course, serving it 'mit hefe' - swirling the bottle to add the yeast into the beer.

I've moved on to all-grain brews of late but I'll keep making this extract brew because I can't imagine it could taste any better, and its so easy to make!

Back