How much time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teufelhunden

Reaction score
I have a Kolsch in the primary sitting a 65df, how long should I wait before taking a reading?

good things come to those who wait!

waiting is not fun, but you will reap the rewards!

Beer kit instructions can be wrong and often have short times. I saw one which said the beer is ready to drink after being in the bottle a week. Your better off researching methods online or in books.

I take a sample and check the SG on a weekly basis. Seems often enough to see how it's going but not so often that it falls under "messing with the beer" too much. :D

Check it whenever you want, as often as you want. Just keep in mind that the more you check it, the more you lose and the more chances you have of infecting it.

I have the stick-on fermometers on my bucket and carboy, and one of them is always further along than the other. When the younger one gets down to the same temperature as the older one (I have no temperature control beyond the temperature of my basement being 60-63 degrees) I'll take a sample. It's always worked out that when the temperature bottomed out they were done fermenting. That's usually around a week, give or take a few days. If you leave it on the yeast for another week or two, you'll end up with beer that's more delicious, though.

This may sound like a dumb question but this is my first batch, so do you have to take a reading with the hydrometer? I just really don't wanna mess anything up. Also would it be a bad thing if I went ahead and racked the beer after 7 days? I had so much fun making my first batch, I already have the second kit out and ready.

This may sound like a dumb question but this is my first batch, so do you have to take a reading with the hydrometer? I just really don't wanna mess anything up. Also would it be a bad thing if I went ahead and racked the beer after 7 days? I had so much fun making my first batch, I already have the second kit out and ready.

Don't rack until your hydrometer tells you too. That's why I check once a week. When it hits it's FG and then is the same the next week, I consider it done. More time in the primary after fermentation is complete is a GOOD thing.

Don't rack until your hydrometer tells you too. That's why I check once a week. When it hits it's FG and then is the same the next week, I consider it done. More time in the primary after fermentation is complete is a GOOD thing.

Alright, I guess ill check it tomorrow, which is exactly a week. Then wait another week? Hopefully it comes out great! Has anyone had the Weizenbier from the brewers best kit? I cant wait to try my own home brew! This is alot more exciting than I thought it would be!

Back