Black and Tan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheaperPlease

Reaction score
We all know what a black and tan is, or Half-n-half like some people call it, But for a while now I have been drinking a beer called Mississippi Mud that is black and tan bottled. I was wondering if anybody had tried this before? I intend to make 2 batches and rack them togeather on the secondary but I need to recipes that work togeather. I was looking for a dry stout that was tart but not the soured taste of geniuess, not that I could sour my beer and all of that like they do. If anybody has some advice on this I would love to hear it.

Also yeast, same strain or diffrent?

CheaperPlease said:
We all know what a black and tan is, or Half-n-half like some people call it

Things that make you go hmmmm...
These are actually 2 different drinks. A Black and Tan is Bass and Guiness.
A Half-n-Half is Harp and Guiness. Just some goofy beer fact.

:mug:

Do you bottle or keg?

If you keg, then if you like black and tans, I'd just go ahead and make a dry stout and an English PA. Then you've got three choices--either one on it's own or mix them.

Even bottling, I'd probably do the same: brew them seperately--at bottling time, mix 1/2 of each in the bottling bucket and bottle. Then bottle what's left of each batch seperately.

Once in a while Trader Joe's gets in some Mississippi Mud. Not bad.

Another plus for keggeraters, mixing!

I like MM, but some people hate it. I was in a bar one time (The Green Gooch in Joliet, IL) that had it, and they told me I could drink all of it I wanted for free since everyone else hated it. They even announced over the loud-speaker that they had "found a drinker of Mississippi Mud".

Born Brewing Co. said:
These are actually 2 different drinks. A Black and Tan is Bass and Guiness.
A Half-n-Half is Harp and Guiness. Just some goofy beer fact.

And who made up these rules? :confused:

Last half and half I had was two different Carlsberg products mixed 50/50. The last black and tan I had was a Munich Dunkel mixed with 60% Schulthiess Pils.

To answer the question, try mixing your favourite two light and dark beers together in various proportions and see how you like it. I don't think the style n*zis will come after you.

Ok, I guess that means nobody has tried making it. Good times though, ill just have to brew a few stouts and english pales till i find 2 that work. Thanks for the info and just for fun, here is a list of Castings (what my Local pub calls them) ive had.

Black Velvet: Geniuess over Woodchuck cider
Dark Side of the Moon or Black and Blue: Geniuess over Blue Moon
Black and Tan
Half and Half
Black Hoe: Guniuess over Hoegaarden
Rotten Death: Guniuess over Rouge Dead guy

CheaperPlease said:
Ok, I guess that means nobody has tried making it.

Not at all, I serve it at home quite frequentlly but mix it individually according to what my guests like.

You might try brewing a porter or an English Mild, some of them can be quite similar in taste to a half and half.

You know Northern Brewery has this thing called a turtle. Not completely sure how the thing works but you pour one type of beer then you pour the other. This little turtle gadget fits over the glass on the top.

CheaperPlease said:
Black Velvet: Geniuess over Woodchuck cider
Dark Side of the Moon or Black and Blue: Geniuess over Blue Moon
Black and Tan
Half and Half
Black Hoe: Guniuess over Hoegaarden
Rotten Death: Guniuess over Rouge Dead guy

My favorite: Blacksmith-Guinness over Smithwicks, mmmmmmm its so good

Latest posts

Back