Can I re-ferment a "finished" beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emian

Reaction score
(Sorry for the double post - I think this is a beter category for the question).

I kegged up an IPA that had stopped fermenting after 3 weeks in the secondary. I didn't take the gravity until I had kegged it and was surprised that it is still at about 1.030. It started at 1.079 so it's already got some alcohol - but it's just a bit too sweet for my taste. I had already forced carbonated it before I decided I don't really like the taste.

Is it possible to just to feed it back into a carboy - warm it up to 70 and re-pitch some yeast and bring the gravity down? I've never heard of anyone doing this - and find myself wondering what will happen if I do this?

Ian

Hey there! What was the recipe? Why was the SG that high to begin with? Do you have a lot of unfermentables in it to make it sweet?

GOD said:
Do you have a lot of unfermentables in it to make it sweet?

not unless I screwed up the mash..

11 lbs of 2-row pale
1/2 lb of 55L crystal
6 oz of Amber malt
6 oz of Toasted malt
4 oz of torrified wheat
4 oz of wheat

and 45IBU's of Norther Brewer

Dude said:
Please don't post double threads--PM a mod or request somewhere in the thread to have them move it for you.

so sorry... sooo...do you have an answer? Can I referment it?

Emian said:
so sorry... sooo...do you have an answer? Can I referment it?

I can't believe nobody ever answered your question.

So what did you end up doing? Did you try refermenting it?

If you're wondering if you can referment it still the answer is yes. Try pitching some champagne yeast, it can survive in high alcohol content and has a high attunuation. However, as is true for any carbonated beverage, it will probably not taste very good once you've refermented it. The problem is that once you've carbonated it you've changed the beer itself. Just like cola or champagne or anything like that, once it goes flat you can't go back...

I'd say just brew another batch completely and by the time thats ready to keg you're current IPA will be enjoyed, maybe not by you, but by your friends, neighbors, etc...

It sould work. And I recommend doing this in the keg itself, since there is no need to rack to a secondary. But it can also been done in a carboy. Pick any yeast and make a starter. Once it is at full Krauesen, pitch it and keep the temp around fermentation temps until you don't get any further pressure build-up. If you don't have a pressure gauge that you can attach the keg, release the pressure once a day.

I have done this once with a lager and it actually worked, though it took some time.

Kai

Back