Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There she is. 12 pounder, and I brined it with a simple salt/sugar/herb blend, which worked really well. Smoked it with a little apple and cherry.

Darn thing got done too quickly, though. It was done in about 2 hours at 325-350.

image-3040033340.jpg

JonM said:
There she is. 12 pounder, and I brined it with a simple salt/sugar/herb blend, which worked really well. Smoked it with a little apple and cherry. Darn thing got done too quickly, though. It was done in about 2 hours at 325-350.

That may be the prettiest turkey I've ever seen. I wouldn't want to even serve it because I would have to destroy it. Great job.

The 12lb bird I smoked yesterday for the family turned out perfect! Smoked it at 350* for 3.5 hours, didnt brine, but it turned out juicy and delicious :D

Rolled a couple of fatties: bacon wrapped sausage filled with scrambled eggs, cream cheese, shredded waffles, strawberry jam and maple syrup. Smoked 1.5 hours after I pulled the turkey yesterday so breakfast was pre-made for today. :)

20131128_161600.jpg

20131129_132916.jpg

The family pretty much hammered it in one shot!

Rolled a couple of fatties: bacon wrapped sausage filled with scrambled eggs, cream cheese, shredded waffles, strawberry jam and maple syrup. Smoked 1.5 hours after I pulled the turkey yesterday so breakfast was pre-made for today. :)

20131128_161600.jpg

20131129_132916.jpg

The family pretty much hammered it in one shot!

Oh...my...god
My head just exploded

adiochiro3 said:
Rolled a couple of fatties: bacon wrapped sausage filled with scrambled eggs, cream cheese, shredded waffles, strawberry jam and maple syrup. Smoked 1.5 hours after I pulled the turkey yesterday so breakfast was pre-made for today. :) The family pretty much hammered it in one shot!

How do you reheat it. I can't wait to make that for my crew. That looks like it will be a hit, but if we're not eating breakfast by 7:00am heads will roll so I'd have to pre make it like you did.

How do you reheat it. I can't wait to make that for my crew. That looks like it will be a hit, but if we're not eating breakfast by 7:00am heads will roll so I'd have to pre make it like you did.

Slice it and either hit it in the microwave for ~30 seconds or hit it in a frying pan for 60-90 seconds per side. A toaster oven works too, but is a bit slow IMHO.

IMG_0195.jpg

Makes a good sandwich in an English muffin as well!

To make a fattie, place about 1.25 lbs sausage in a 1 gallon Ziplock bag and express all of the air out. Roll out flat and par-freeze to keep the sausage together when you roll it up. Then just run a knife down each side seam to expose the sausage "patty" for assembly.

20131124_210235.jpg

You can put anything in the middle you can think of -- pizza ingredients, Reuben sandwich makings, apple pie, breakfast makings/leftovers -- your imagination is the only limit. I just make sure the stuffing ingredients are pretty well cooked before assembly.

Here's a Reuben I did:

IMG_9735.jpg

Omelet fattie:

IMG_1589.jpg

Pancake, cream cheese and fruit:

2011-12-22171822.jpg

Slice it and either hit it in the microwave for ~30 seconds or hit it in a frying pan for 60-90 seconds per side. A toaster oven works too, but is a bit slow IMHO.

IMG_0195.jpg

Makes a good sandwich in an English muffin as well!

To make a fattie, place about 1.25 lbs sausage in a 1 gallon Ziplock bag and express all of the air out. Roll out flat and par-freeze to keep the sausage together when you roll it up. Then just run a knife down each side seam to expose the sausage "patty" for assembly.

20131124_210235.jpg

You can put anything in the middle you can think of -- pizza ingredients, Reuben sandwich makings, apple pie, breakfast makings/leftovers -- your imagination is the only limit. I just make sure the stuffing ingredients are pretty well cooked before assembly.

Here's a Reuben I did:

IMG_9735.jpg

Omelet fattie:

IMG_1589.jpg

Pancake, cream cheese and fruit:

2011-12-22171822.jpg

I literally just had a heart attack and an orgasm reading this. HOLY...... ****!!!!!!! I must do this. I am going to break out the deer sausage to defrost right now and the bacon to wrap it. You sir are a damn genius and I will ,make sure that you will be paid homage on my tombstone upon my cholesterol laden
artery clogged deathbed!:D I have Hickory, Apple and Cherry chips at this time. What would you go with for this amazing concoction and at what temp did you run it?

Turkey Breast!

Was a fresh free range 7# breast, brined it overnight, and did nothing extra to it. Smoked with Sugar Maple and Pecan.

Did some water, with a chick bullion cube in it, and caught the drippings while they smoked, and now I've got this out of this world smoked turkey gravy..

Chicken from last night. Got home, split it open, rubbed it light with some of my coffee rub, and tossed it on the BGE with some cherry and apple.

1.5 hours smoke at 275, ramped it up to 375 to finish it out, and slapped it over the coals for a bit before plating.

Gotta get that bacon weaved on it to be a real fatty...;)

bacon-cheeseburger-fatty-ready-to-smoke_zpsc28428af.jpg

I hear ya. It does look way better, but I've never thought the double bacon layer weave cooks quite right (it's better when you buy the super thin see-through bacon, but I NEVER buy that). The single layer works just fine for us.

I literally just had a heart attack and an orgasm reading this. HOLY...... ****!!!!!!! I must do this. I am going to break out the deer sausage to defrost right now and the bacon to wrap it. You sir are a damn genius and I will ,make sure that you will be paid homage on my tombstone upon my cholesterol laden
artery clogged deathbed!:D I have Hickory, Apple and Cherry chips at this time. What would you go with for this amazing concoction and at what temp did you run it?

I think I'm flattered (and a little worried I must say...) :) Any of the above woods will work fine, especially with the deer sausage. I run them between 225-250F for about an hour and a half (until the internal temp is 165F). I wish I could claim credit for the idea, but I picked up the trick on a meat smoking website years ago.

The fatty is also called the "Bacon Explosion" if I remember correctly. I usually do one for Christmas and another for New Years.

The fatty is also called the "Bacon Explosion" if I remember correctly. I usually do one for Christmas and another for New Years.

Is it called that because it is a heart bomb?:D So I waffled on this for a bit due to the arctic temps we are enduring these past few days. I just turned the deer sausage into biscuits and gravy with a potato pepper hash. Now I am thinking I am going to defrost another sausage (turkey this time?) and then wrap the biscuits, gravy and hash with some cheddar! Oh dear god, "HEART DON"T FAIL ME NOW!!!!!!!"l

RoughandReadyRanch said:
Is it called that because it is a heart bomb?:D So I waffled on this for a bit due to the arctic temps we are enduring these past few days. I just turned the deer sausage into biscuits and gravy with a potato pepper hash. Now I am thinking I am going to defrost another sausage (turkey this time?) and then wrap the biscuits, gravy and hash with some cheddar! Oh dear god, "HEART DON"T FAIL ME NOW!!!!!!!"l
I would highly recommend it. But only in moderation. It's great sliced in toast with some melted cheddar!

I would highly recommend it. But only in moderation. It's great sliced in toast with some melted cheddar!

The weather folks are predicting snow down to 1000' tomorrow night and I have no idea how well my smoker would hold up in that. It is already in the 20's at 11pm so my ambition to be out in the cold right now is pretty low. Might just knock out some snow beer tomorrow night. Something holiday like and spicy. Maybe smoke a fatty on sunday.

Doing brisket this weekend. I had to choose between select packet from smart & final vs choice untrimmed cryo flats from Costco. I chose the flats. I bought two that were nice and bendy, about 6.5 lbs each.

I've never done just a flat. Current plan is to only *lightly* trim, inject, rub, and smoke fat side down. Then to foil at 160 to ensure I retain moisture.

Thoughts?

anytime I smoke the flats I place them in a shallow foil pan with a very shallow amount of beef stock in it for about half the cook time. oh and mop, mop, mop.

Back