What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
now i understand what's going on.

45 had probably been hassled by some engineers, probably met some dumb ones, etc.

then he got his surveying license and thought that applied to everything on the planet.

then he got smug about his surveying license and decided to use that to berate others.

congrats on getting your surveying license, 45. the way your profession is set up does not translate to all professions. furthermore, your profession probably involves a lot of interaction with civil engineers. That area of engineering is closely tied with PE license. in fact i think a sizeable portion of licensed engineers are civil.

I just can't believe how 45 saw right through me like that with the whole gynecology thing. He was spot on. Guess ill just be burning those business cards now.

Non-engineer. Well, unless fire counts. I'm in fire/EMS with a local Indian Reservation. I spent 8years building an insurance agency that I sold last year. I hated every minute of it. I make half of what I used to, but love my job now.

BS in Computer Science and Engineering. And I love to cook.

Brewing beer really appeals to the mad scientist within. I may or may not have shouted, "It's alive! It's alive!" the first time I descended into my dungeon and saw the thick Kraeusen and active airlock of my caribou slobber.

My job description says I'm a Software Engineer, but after reading some of the anal posts in this thread I'm not so sure anymore.

Don't Engineers drive trains?

My title says "Software Engineer" but I went to a business school, so who knows what I am. I drove a truck once, does that make me a Truck Driver?

I'm one. Not just in degree, but I actually design electronic devices, mostly medical. Schematic design, PCB layout, firmware, soldering, debugging. I have a 1-man consulting company. I know there are others here.

I just finished the board layout for a really cool O2 sensor tonight. It will measure the O2 concentration using light. I bounce red light off a tablet that contains a powder that fluoresces. There is a very small time lag (nanoseconds) between when the red light hits the tablet and when it floresces. I blast the tablet with a high-frequency sine wave then use FFT (fast fourier transform) to measure the lag in response. This lag is proportional to the amount of O2 where the tablet is.

The cool thing is that it can be used in liquid, so works with beer! Once I get it working I'll watch the O2 deplete in my carboy during fermentation. Can't wait.

board-image-57506.png

This is awesome. My consulting company develops medical products. A recent one involved noninvasive body-worn monitor networked via bluetooth/app back to a central server. The idea was to continually monitor people with ongoing conditions and help insure compliance with prescriptions, etc. Have to figure out how to work that into brewing somehow!

No I'm not an engineer. I'm an MBA and the engineers work for me. :ban:

Not an engineer but in the tech field..*sigh* what a thankless field.

Trying to brew is my escape!

Mechanic, I did get accepted into an engineering program. Didn't apply myself. Had fun and met my wife though. If I had spent all my time in lab we likely would have never seen each other.

That sounds like a cool project! I'd be interested to see what kind of readings you'd get during fermentation.

Is that the same Festo (on one of the silk layers, it looks like) that makes a lot of air cylinders and such?

Here's one of my designs -- a little embedded computer based on an ARM926 processor, meant for industrial automation. An LCD panel / touch screen connect to that pin header at the top, but they cover the entire board when they're installed. This was the first one to be built, so there's lots of little mistakes (note the wires tacked on and cartoonishly big power connector), but it does work!

Cool! Yea, that first rev always has jumpers. I need to get some green jumper wire, duh. I always use colors that stand out. You just pray there's no problems under the BGAs.

Might be the same, I don't know what else they do. I should have grayed that out :(

I've built a similar device before for another company. That Swedish company builds thousands of them annually, so I know it works. Just need to get the time to play.

I've done a few ARM9 designs. A couple of times I needed the TFT LCD, one other time I needed to move video from a small camera chip over USB.

Airline Pilot. I piss off the general public professionally. Better than TSA... so I got that going for me.

BS EET

Brewing is like chemistry lab all over again. The end result is more enjoyable now though.

Haha

B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Maryland, 1995

On a side not...I work for an Engineering Consulting Firm and was just informed that we have a client that is interested in expanding their process....turns out to be a micro-brewery....and my boss knows I am big into home-brewing...so guess who gets that project! :ban:

mgortel said:
B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Maryland, 1995

On a side not...I work for an Engineering Consulting Firm and was just informed that we have a client that is interested in expanding their process....turns out to be a micro-brewery....and my boss knows I am big into home-brewing...so guess who gets that project! :ban:

Heck yeah! That's pretty awesome!

I'm a chemist. At a previous job I worked in a cellulosic ethanol pilot plant. Not too different than brewing really.

Research & Development in Polymer Chemistry

background education in Wood Science and Forest Products Manufacturing Processes

Orthopedic Technician - I straighten and cast broken bones.

I'm amazed at how many brewers are engineers!

Very true.
If you are an actual engineer you will have an engineering license that you took an engineering test to get.
Your licence will be governed by your states board of registration and under a separate branch with a board of registration that has engineers and surveyors on it ( usually about a two to one ratio favoring engineers ).
You will have special laws and administrative code that govern your actions and ethical behavior.

I don't think that's entirely correct either. The term you are describing would be a "Professional Engineer" or PE. I have two degrees, a job title and job description that define myself as an engineer....the term engineer is extremely ambiguous.

So, I am a Product Design Engineer and I love brewing beer. :)

True he didn't say licensed, but a license is what makes you an engineer instead of a tech.

No, a license is what makes you a licensed professional engineer instead of an engineer. In most fields (especially ChemE), there's absolutely no benefit to the PE license. In fact it's almost impossible to obtain, since you need to work under another PE for 4-5 years before you can take the test. Unless you're in consulting, you'll pretty much never work with a PE ChemE. I took the EIT/FE exam just in case I wanted to go into consulting, but since I work in R+D I'll never need the PE title/license.

Back