Too much foam!!! What am I doing wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewbeliever

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello HBT community... I'm having foaming problems on my beer. I have "balanced" my system using different equations, and all of them result in the theory that my beer should be "fine." My kegerator is at 40*F, I'm pushing 12 PSI, and my beer line is 5 feet long... Still, I get a little more than 1/4 foam when I pour a pint. Any suggestions? :confused:

Could also be the way you are force carbing the keg. I have had good luck with 20 psi for two days. Then bring down to 10psi

Could also be the way you are force carbing the keg. I have had good luck with 20 psi for two days. Then bring down to 10psi

I was wondering if that was the problem. I did it at 25 PSI for about 36 hours and then brought it down to 12 PSI and its been sitting at that pressure for the past 24 hours. Am I not waiting long enough after bringing it down before drinking it? Sorry to sound like a newbie, but this the first beer that I've kegged and dispensed.

I was wondering if that was the problem. I did it at 25 PSI for about 36 hours and then brought it down to 12 PSI and its been sitting at that pressure for the past 24 hours. Am I not waiting long enough after bringing it down before drinking it? Sorry to sound like a newbie, but this the first beer that I've kegged and dispensed.

No, that's fine (although maybe slightly overcarbed). You need longer lines. Go with 10' lines at a minimum, and you'll have perfect pours even at a higher psi.

The worst thing that will happen if your lines are "too long" is that it will take a few seconds longer to pour a pint. You'll still have head, and full carbonation.

No, that's fine (although maybe slightly overcarbed). You need longer lines. Go with 10' lines at a minimum, and you'll have perfect pours even at a higher psi.

The worst thing that will happen if your lines are "too long" is that it will take a few seconds longer to pour a pint. You'll still have head, and full carbonation.

Okay, I suppose I'll give it a try... 10 feet, even with 3/16th ID beer line? What do I do with all of the line slack? Can I roll it up into a loop and use twist-ties to secure it? or should I just let it dangle? I'd have to do something with it if its 10' long.

Try purging the keg of excess pressure and then letting it stabilize again at the 12 psi. Just a thought.

Yeah, I am tilting the glass really well. It ended up being excess pressure though. I purged it and let it sit for a bit and now i get about an inch of foam, which I think is pretty dang good. It looks like 10' of line was a good amount after all!

Yeah, I used to have a lot of problems with foamy pours on freshly filled kegs, too. Found out on another thread here that purging the head helps, and I got a perfect pour with my last 4 kegs.

Problem was, I didn't have a PRV and had to build one to fit the coupler's gas-in port.

Anyways, good to see that tip worked for you!!!

WhoZiT said:
Yeah, I used to have a lot of problems with foamy pours on freshly filled kegs, too. Found out on another thread here that purging the head helps, and I got a perfect pour with my last 4 kegs.

Problem was, I didn't have a PRV and had to build one to fit the coupler's gas-in port.

Anyways, good to see that tip worked for you!!!

PRV? What is that? I'm still getting familiar with all of the acronyms...

Back