What dimensions should a closet for a chest freezer be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wadewegner

Reaction score
Hi all,

We're getting our basement finished, and I'm having the builders build out a closet that will be large enough to put in a chest freezer (much like the Haier HCM071LC 7.1 Cu Ft Chest Freezer) that I'll convert for kegs. I need to get them the exact dimensions for the closet but I don't want to design it specifically for one chest freezer.

Any idea as to the general size I should give the builder so that, even if I get a different chest freezer, I should have enough room?

Thanks!

Atleast 3 dimensions... Unless of course you're trying to force it to accelerate through time unnaturally, in which case you're likely to need a 4th and 5th dimension

I wouldn't put a freezer in a closet. It puts out some heat to keep cold & needs the air circulation.

Appreciate the feedback and it's a good point you make. The design from the builder takes this into consideration. I'm simply looking for some advice regarding the dimensions. Thanks!

Atleast 3 dimensions... Unless of course you're trying to force it to accelerate through time unnaturally, in which case you're likely to need a 4th and 5th dimension

Funny! I'm actually going with the first definition listed here. I hope this clarifies.

I've decided to go with 40"W x 60"H (just to ensure there's enough room to open without obstruction) x 30"D. Seems sufficient. Thanks!

I really doubt 40" wide is sufficient. I'm fairly certain my Holiday 7.0 (same as yours) required at least several inches (3+ on each side). Check the manual for the freezer to be sure. I wouldn't go with anything less than the manufacturer recommends.

I really doubt 40" wide is sufficient. I'm fairly certain my Holiday 7.0 (same as yours) required at least several inches (3+ on each side). Check the manual for the freezer to be sure. I wouldn't go with anything less than the manufacturer recommends.

You are spot on. I just looked up the clearances required for the model and found that it's 4" on the sides, top, and back. Looks like I'll need to go with at least: 45"W x 60"H x 30"D.

Thanks so much!

Back