Raspberry Wheat - fermentation/bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottTeece

Reaction score
Greetings
I am currently 3 weeks into a 4 week fermentation of a raspberry wheat. I wanted to attempt something that my wife and extended family would enjoy since they only like light, fruity stuff. It was a basic wheat brew and the raspberry flavor is added as a syrup when it is bottled.

Bottling will be one week from today. I am wondering if I could add additional berries at some point before bottling to make it tastier (such as adding macerated raspberries to this second stage fermentation). As this is only my 6th brew and I have only followed the recipes as stated, I have yet to experiment too much. Does anyone have any experience and/or advice on something like this?

Adding berries is a good idea. I like to buy the frozen ones. The formation of ice crystals pierces the cell walls and there's lots of purge in the form of juice. Try to find one that's organic. Usually they don't add any sugar during the ice glazing before packaging. If you macerate them you'd be adding table sugar to the beer which in itself isn't a bad thing but it could change your abv. I like to let them sit in the secondary for a couple weeks.

Back