Blueberry Bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRLynch

Reaction score
Lesson learned...

Picture040small.JPG

Picture043small.JPG

mike

Hahaha.......j/k

that IS kinda funny though, good thing that it was on the tile and not carpet, good example of why to use a blow off.

Cheers

This is one of Rites of Passage for a homebrewer. I ferment fruit ciders in the utility sink with a small bucket over the top.

Luckily I can ferment in the garage, if that happened in the house SWMBO would kill me.

Good luck with the stains; you may need to re-paint :p. Blueberries are tasty, but man do they make a mess!

RadicalEd said:
Good luck with the stains; you may need to re-paint :p. Blueberries are tasty, but man do they make a mess!

lol, tottally true! The door is painted with a semi gloss and isn't too bad, but the inside is a flat primer and it completely absorbed! I think the fact that my swmbo laughed when she saw it means I've got a keeper ;)

mike

WOW! What happened? Did the airlock get blocked?

I'm still new at this and haven't had that happen yet. Were you making a wine?

chase said:
WOW! What happened? Did the airlock get blocked?

I'm still new at this and haven't had that happen yet. Were you making a wine?

That is just what happens when you have a really aggressive fermentation. Good reason to use a blow off! your airlock fills with krausen and when it starts to dry it becomes solid and then POOF. Mess time. I always use a big diameter blow off tube for the brews I know are going to be aggressive for just that reason. But you still get surprised sometimes. I had an airlock hit the ceiling just a week or so ago.

I was making a wine, fresh blueberry puree is the culprit here (with the most kickass starter i've ever had being an accomplice). Clogged up the airlock with the goop after less than 24 hours. Like I said, lesson learned. Blueberries get strained before pitching, even if it takes forever. It's a lot easier than repainting your pantry.

mike

I always use a big diameter blow off tube for the brews I know are going to be aggressive for just that reason.

Can you make generalizations about which types of brews can go ballistic? If so, can you tell me what they are so I can be prepared?

Wow. Looks like a murder scene in a bad B movie. ;)

You're definitely going to need to paint which is a bummer. Hopefully the wine turns out well to make it all worth it!

chase said:
Can you make generalizations about which types of brews can go ballistic? If so, can you tell me what they are so I can be prepared?
Experience works best... but from my own... any yeast that you know is going to go like crazy, or something with lots of sugars in it... for example something with lots of fruit in it.

Back