Pumpkin ale! need advice please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulgs3

Reaction score
I brewed my pumpkin ale a week ago and its done fermenting. I had planned on keeping in the primary for 4 weeks then moving it to a secondary for a few weeks to let it sit on additional "pumpkin pie seasoning" (from AHS). It's still gonna sit in the primary for 4 weeks, nothing is changing that.

I tasted it today and it tasted absolutely perfect! So perfect that I'm doubting my plan now to add the additional seasonings in the secondary. I've never made a "fruit" or spiced ale, so how much should I expect the flavors to dull in 6 weeks? Right now, I taste the pumpkin (4 cans FTW!!), and I taste a hint of the seasoning and its blended perfectly with the ale and hops, How much is carbonation/time going to change all that?

So I do jack it up now so it will taste the same in 4-6 more weeks or do I let it go and maybe keg a little earlier? I don't want overly spiced ale.

If you like it now, dont add anything to it. In my experience, spice flavor rarely fades with time. If it aint broke dont fix it.
-Jefe-

Ditto... plus a little dash seasoning goes a LONG LONG way - meaning if you mess with it, you can easily over-season. Leave it alone seasoning-wise and wait to enjoy an terrific beer.

Paulgs3,

I'm going to brew Punkin Porter on Tuesday and I'm torn between steeping the pumpkin pre-boil and adding it in the last 10 mins. When did you add it?

I steeped mine with the grains before bringing to a boil. I may have added too much spice though, but I'll know in a couple of weeks.

I added more spice to a pumpkin ale in secondary a couple of years ago and waaaay over did it! I still have some left and open a bottle every once in a while still too much! I agree, if it tastes good now, it will taste great later! Just remember, you can't take those spices out once you put them in!

Awesome, thanks all! Gonna let it ride.

Paulgs3,

I'm going to brew Punkin Porter on Tuesday and I'm torn between steeping the pumpkin pre-boil and adding it in the last 10 mins. When did you add it?

I caramelized the pumpkins then I added them to the mash. Good luck!

Thanks, Paulgs3!

I didn't caramelize, but put it in the mash as well. I also added a little Victory malt and some lactose to the recipe, the former for a bit of pie crust taste, the latter for a little more body & sweetness. During the boil I thought I'd messed something up b/c the wort didn't smell too appealing. But once I took my OG reading and tasted the sample after, I think it's gonna be a right pleasant beer!

The recipe said that the beer should be ready to bottle in 2 weeks! Are you going to move that fast? I'm thinking 4-5 weeks in primary, then 2-3 weeks to condition in bottle. That's early October--perfect!

For the most part, yes but batch was done in two weeks. I'm letting it sit for the the time being as its clearing up nicely. I'll probably sneak a taste at three weeks and make a judgment. I had planned on tapping this keg in mid sept.... I might have to brew another as I promised the family this beer for thanksgiving.

Nice! That is better than I hoped. I'd be thrilled if I could bottle at three weeks or so. Please post your results when if/when you break down and taste a sample!

Back