Without Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dut31

Reaction score
I am brewing an extract batch as we speak. I have two other batches fermenting... Well fermentation has long since ended in one batch. My problem is that I have 3 buckets but only two stoppers/airlocks. The airlock/stoppers are on the two mentioned buckets. I won't be able to make it LHBS until noon tomorrow to pick an airlock and stopper for the batch I am brewing. Will it be an issue if I use the the airlock/stopper from the batch that is completed and just cleaning up in the bucket? Cover the hole with sanitized foil...? Make sense?

Sorry, still a bit new to this, but having a blast nonetheless.

Thanks!

if the other batch is completed you may be able to get away with plugging that other hole with something sanitized. shouldn't be making too much more co2. it should be fine untill tomorrow. people sometimes do open fermentations with out airlocks the entire time

A blow off tube. Try to match some tubing, you'll want 2'-3' or so, to the hole the airlock would normally go in and shove one end of the tube in there, just enough to make a strong seal. It doesn't need to penetrate the head space.

Put the other end of the tube in to a half full container star-san solution, water, etc...
Make sure the container is well below the top of the fermenter, like on the floor near the fermenter, and the end of tube is resting on the bottom of the container.

Follow good sanitary procedures.

Then RDWHAHB :mug:

D0ug said:
A blow off tube. Try to match some tubing, you'll want 2'-3' or so, to the hole the airlock would normally go in and shove one end of the tube in there, just enough to make a strong seal. It doesn't need to penetrate the head space.

Put the other end of the tube in to a half full container star-san solution, water, etc...
Make sure the container is well below the top of the fermenter, like on the floor near the fermenter, and the end of tube is resting on the bottom of the container.

Follow good sanitary procedures.

Then RDWHAHB :mug:

Unfortunately, I don't have the necessary tubing for a blow off.

Willum said:
What about the tubing you using for racking? Just buy more later. Solves the immediate problem.

The lid has a pre drilled hole in it that fits a stopper that I don't have...

Just wrap foil over the top of one that's done with active fermentation. And buy some damn airlocks those things are like 2 dollars :mug:

bottlebomber said:
Just wrap foil over the top of one that's done with active fermentation. And buy some damn airlocks those things are like 2 dollars :mug:

Thanks for the suggestions! I used some sanitized foil.

Only six months into this hobby...errr...obsession. This forum has been an amazing tool. Thanks for the help.

:mug:

Second the foil suggestion. I use foil for all of my lagers only because I don't have enough clearance for an airlock in my freezer. Haven't had a problem yet.

Back