Bottle Conditioning w/ WLP029

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbay76

Reaction score
Hey Folks,
I am brewing with WLP029 right now and the brew room smells of sulfur to high heaven and I am wondering if this smell will begin again when I bottle condition this beer in a week. Has anyone brewed and bottled using this yeast strain before? Any hints/tips/advice to help me ensure the sulfu I am noticing will not occur again when I mix in the priming sugar and bottle.
Thanks
J
:fro:

The german kolsch yeast produces tons of sulfur but it disipates and leaves a very nice lager like beer. I find that taking the beer and racking to secondary and cold conditioning makes this come out very smooth. Even without cold conditioning you will be fine. If ever in doubt go to whitelabs website and check it out. They even talk about sulfur production with this yeast specifically...

Thanks for the info. I'll contact WL and see what their take is on it. I wasn't anticipating cold conditioning as I don't have the equipment available. But, your words are encouraging!
Thanks

Back