Cold crashing how to?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blawjr

Reaction score
I've looked around on here and can't find a clear axplanation on how to cold crash in the fermenter, more specifically, when to do it, how long to do it, and at what temperature. Can anyone give me some tips?

I do it after 3-4 weeks in primary to get the beer as cold as possible (without freezing) for as long as it takes for the wort to cool to the ambient temperature. I let it sit at that temp for a couple of days so the yeast completely drop to the bottom of the fermentor. No idea if that's right, but it's what I do when I do it.

This episode of Brew Strong I linked here, at 51:00 in, Dr.Bamforth talks about cold conditioning,

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/572

to quickly sum it up, he says -1 or -2 C , and he says temperature is more important than length of time. He talks about -1 C for a couple of days, but give it a listen, the whole episode is about things that cause haze.

Bob

One to two days slightly below freezing won't freeze beer. It will take nearly that long just to reach the low 30's. Plus, alcohol lowers the freezing point a couple of degrees.

Don't worry, even if the beer freezes a little, it will be fine.

Some beers are "frost brewed". :)

I drop my fermenting chest to 36 degrees for 24 hours. Then I add gelatine to assist in the clearing and let set for 3 to 4 days. Result = clear beer.

I had a 5% ABV Amber Ale at 28F for 3 days, 2 days to drop it to 28F and then held at 28F for 3 days, it never froze.

Bob

This episode of Brew Strong I linked here, at 51:00 in, Dr.Bamforth talks about cold conditioning,

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/572

to quickly sum it up, he says -1 or -2 C , and he says temperature is more important than length of time. He talks about -1 C for a couple of days, but give it a listen, the whole episode is about things that cause haze.

Bob

Thanks for the link man, very informative.

One more quick question, I'm gonna go ahead and crash it at about 30F, but that won't take all the yeast out of suspension right? I mean, i'll still need some to carb the beer once its in bottles, there will still be enough in suspension for that correct?

One more quick question, I'm gonna go ahead and crash it at about 30F, but that won't take all the yeast out of suspension right? I mean, i'll still need some to carb the beer once its in bottles, there will still be enough in suspension for that correct?

Yes. Much of the yeast in suspension that cause cloudiness will fall out, but you'll still have billions left in there to carbonate your beer.

Usually I cold crash to 35 degrees for 2 days. The process involves me walking over to the temperature controller and hitting the button a few times. I love having a fermentation chamber!

Back