3/16 inch beer line, 1/4 inch tailpiece, #145 Oetiker = leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billtzk

Reaction score
I'm using 3/16th inch ID 7/16th OD beer line from Superprod in my keezer. This is your common garden-variety 3/16th tubing with 1/8th inch wall thickness. The tubing goes on pretty tight over the 1/4 inch tailpiece. I'm securing them with a #145 single-ear pinch type Oetiker clamp. At anything over 10 PSI, I get a leak at the tailpiece barb. The clamp isn't tight enough.

I bought one-ear non-stepless Oetiker clamps from McMaster Carr by mistake. It seems that the stepless ones are preferred for this application. The single ear pinch type that aren't stepless apparently don't exert even pressure 360 degrees around. There's a gap where a leak can develop.

I measured the circumference of the tubing where it expands over the 1/4 inch tailpiece, and it was 39mm. That gives me a diameter of 12.4mm which is .488 inches, which is just over 31/64ths.

I'm about to order these 52545k51 clamps from MMC, which I think are the same size as these Oetiker Clamp - #13.3 - 1/2" from CHI Company. But before I do, I thought I'd ask what size Oetiker clamp for 3/16th ID 7/16th OD beer line over a 1/4 inch barb do you use?

Personally I use standard hardware store hose clamps and have never had a leak, even when pressure testing the kegs at ~60psi. And I reuse the hose clamps, just toss them in some PBW when I replace beer lines.

Connor

That's what I'm using right now in place of the Oetiker that was leaking. It works fine, but over time many people have reported that the worm clamps will cut into the plastic. I prefer the neater appearance of the Oetiker clamp. It doesn't have a tail like a worm gear clamp.

I imagine it you overtighten the clamp it could cut the hose. But standard hose clamps have been around for decades on everything from cars to appliances and if it was a "common" thing for them to damage what they are used on I am pretty sure they wouldn't be used. Don't overtighten and you'll be fine.

Neater and leaky or drab and functional ;)

I appreciate the input on hose clamps. However, I'm more curious what size Oetiker clamps people use in this situation. But anyway it's academic. I've already ordered the clamps in the OP from MMC. I'll report on their efficacy when I get them.

Just curious where you where exposed to Oetiker clamps? The only thing I know they are used for is aircraft.

I first heard about them on this forum. They are commonly used by many brewers to secure hoses in kegerators and keezers. If you look at brewing equipment suppliers, like Austin Homebrew, Northern Brewer, CHI Company, Keg Connection, Midwest, et. al., you'll find they sell them for this purpose.

I think they are commonly used in automobiles too.

I won an auction on ebay for a keg, a dual gauge secondary regulator and 5 gas disconnects with old hoses attached. The hoses were no good and were all attached to the MFL fittings with Oetiker clamps. I tell you they were a PITA to get off and I had no idea how to get em off I finally just twisted them till they broke with a pair of channel locks and I ruined them getting them off and couldn't reuse them.

Right. To get one off, you have to cut it open with wire cutters or with the same Oetiker tool you used to put them on. Then you may not be able to get the hose off the barb anyway, so you'l have to cut it off.

Oetiker clamps are the way to go.

Oetiker clamps are cheaper than the worm clamps and they are much easier to get on, and yes--they are single use. You just need a dull nail puller or dyke pliers to close them-no special tools. I use something like this:
pliers1.jpg

Taking them off is just as easy, just use the pliers to grab the end of the ring and the first 'step' and squeeze--they pop right off. Don't let anyone discourage you from using Oetikers as they are far superior to worm clamps in every way (did I mention cheaper?) They are the preferred clamp in professional setups for soda and beer.

The Oetikers I use have a '133' on the side band and they work great. I think I also had '123' but found them to be a bit small. I am pretty sure these are sizes in mm (12.3mm and 13.3 mm respectively) Both will work, but the smaller one was just a tad harder to squeeze on. I use Bevlex 200 which is 3/16 ID and 7/16 OD.

The guy at CHI is very helpful, I just called him and he sent me the right ones

BMW also has them and they are also excellent: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/product/0101766/oetiker-stepless-clamps-14-and-316

Always use "Stepless" clamps with hose.
The type shown in the BMW link in previous post will not apply even pressure, 360^ around the hose; possible leak under pressure.

If you need help, just give us a call.

Matt

Thanks shroomz, and thank you also Matt.

I'm also using a 5/16th ID 9/16th OD gas line. Pushed over a 3/8th barb, it is 53.5mm circumference. Pushed over a 5/16 barb, it is 50mm circumference. That gives me a diameter range from 15.9 to 17.0 mm, which is .626 to .669 inches, or 5/8ths (40/64ths) to almost 43/64ths. That corresponds to McMaster part number 52545K55 or 52545K25. I believe that would be the same as the CHI #15.7 or #17. The first would be better over a 5/16th barb, and the second would be better over a 3/8th barb with 9/16th OD line.

CHI Company is a couple of cents per item cheaper than McMaster for these parts, but at .32 cents each, they are still fairly expensive, especially since they aren't reusable.

Midwest Beverage seems to have the cheapest oetiker clamps, especially in bags of 100 at less than half the price of the others. I've never bought from them, so I'll have to research.

OK, I just talked to Matt at CHI Company, and he helped me figure out exactly what Oetiker's I need for my specific hose and barb combination. I'll be ordering #12.3 for 3/16 ID 7/16 OD beer line pushed over a 1/4 inch barb, and #17.0 clamps on 5/16th ID 9/16th OD gas line pushed over 5/16th and 3/8th inch barbs.

Thank you Matt for testing those clamp and hose combinations for me.

OK, I just talked to Matt at CHI Company, and he helped me figure out exactly what Oetiker's I need for my specific hose and barb combination. I'll be ordering #12.3 for 3/16 ID 7/16 OD beer line pushed over a 1/4 inch barb, and #17.0 clamps on 5/16th ID 9/16th OD gas line pushed over 5/16th and 3/8th inch barbs.

Thank you Matt for testing those clamp and hose combinations for me.
Now that is a vendor worth some Stars!

I agree! CHI rocks.

I use 13.3mm on all my fittings (I use 3/16 beer line for gas too, so I can use any hose anywhere in the system)

Stepless is definitely the way to go though.

i just heat my 3/16 id hose in hot water, and apply with stainless hose clamp to 1/4 stainless tail pieces/d-cons and luckily i can hold 30 psi for a week without loss.

Has there been any better clamping arrangement discovered since this old thread? I did the plumbing in my keezer with regular old hose clamps and discovered that if I tighten them much at all they leak. So,,,they'll be getting tossed.

Back