Just a little help for a beginner...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcolla1

Reaction score
Hello everyone... My name is Randal... I am in the process of building my homebrew empire... Not really but an empire but would be nice... So I got a fridge... I plan to buy a couple of soda kegs and make the freezer side a kegerator... I plan to use the fridge side for fermenting... I cant seem to find a beer kit that will accommodate the amount of beer I want to brew at a time so I decided to build it... I am a little hands on anyway and I am cheap so this is my usual solution to anything... I have heard you can get food grade buckets from restaurants for fermentation... Problem is that I only seem to find pickle buckets... This definitely cant be good for flavor... Any suggestions on where to find these buckets or how to get the pickle smell/flavor out of them... Or even where I can find carboys cheap? Is the plastic water bottle carboys okay to use? I appreciate any feed back... Oh yeah... A good Heineken style recipe would be awesome too...

try bakeries. i've heard they get some stuff in buckets. the pickel buckets just aren't gonna deodorize ever.

The plastic water bottles should be a 1 in the triangle on the bottom. Anything else is questionable.

A good Heineken style recipe would be awesome too...

Pils malt, noble hops, soft water, attenuative lager yeast, and ABSOLUTELY AND COMPLETELY FLAWLESS cleanliness, process, and technique. International lager is about the lack of flavor more than anything else.

I am in Texas... And yall are awesome... Thanks for all the info... I will stop calling restaurants and start calling the bakeries...

International lager is about the lack of flavor more than anything else.

I love the skunk taste but enjoy the taste when I drink out of a keg or can too... I dont think theres a lack of flavor... I just enjoy the flavor more than a Bud...

Maybe I should clarify: there is (ideally) a complete lack of off-flavors. The threshold of detection is very low because the flavor profile is similarly low.

rcolla1, I'm also in Arlington. If you haven't been to them, there are two brew shops in the area. One directly in Arlington near Pantego, and another down I-20 on the south side of Fort Worth. PM me if you need the info. I was just out today picking up a brew bucket. I know you said you are cheap, but if you can't find what you're looking for at a restaurant that is all skunked out, invest in a good brew bucket that you don't have to clean out. The shop in Arlington I know has 10 gal stuff, and can probably get bigger for you. How much are you looking to brew at a time?

A all grain cream ale with noble hops fermented in the low sixties can be very close to Heineken. It's not any harder to make than a (all grain) Stout, it simply doesn't hide mistakes. The corn flavor in Heineken is not something that extract can replicate.

A all grain cream ale with noble hops fermented in the low sixties can be very close to Heineken. It's not any harder to make than a (all grain) Stout, it simply doesn't hide mistakes. The corn flavor in Heineken is not something that extract can replicate.

Yeah, I've been told light lagers are like brewing naked. There's just nothing there to hide the flaws :D

Back