Trimming Extra Bines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uechikid

Reaction score
I know that you should cut back the extra bines after training the ones you want to keep. How about the secondary growth that grows from the lower part of the bine between the leaves and the bine? The same place the cones grow from on the upper part of the bine.

if you are talking about the secondary growth that occurs after you have cut back the shoot, you will see THAT growth turn into a new shoot to replace the growing tip you removed earlier. if that's what you're trying to ask. if that is the case, you should go a little deeper when you whack the undesired growth off. i find that if you grab the shoot near the base and pull with a steady force, you can most of the time remove it from where it was coming off the rhizome.

Yes but flowers grow from those.

If it's growing from teh main bine let it be. Additional flower groups will emerge along the sidearm at each leaf node.

If it's emerging from the soil cut it back regularly.

the only maintenance the sidearms need is occasional detangling from the neighboring bine group. this is more aesthetic than anything but, if you loive in a windy area it can also mitigate the sidearms from getting ripped apart on windy days.

Warning!Warning! Thread jacker here. I dug up a large group of rhizomes instead of buying single ones. Should I trim back the smaller undergrowth? How many bines should I get from a rhizome to grow. The group I planted probably had 10 or more viable rhizomes in one big clump that I planted in a small raised bed.

Yes but flowers grow from those.

If it's growing from teh main bine let it be. Additional flower groups will emerge along the sidearm at each leaf node.

If it's emerging from the soil cut it back regularly.

the only maintenance the sidearms need is occasional detangling from the neighboring bine group. this is more aesthetic than anything but, if you loive in a windy area it can also mitigate the sidearms from getting ripped apart on windy days.

So just let them grow like a bush. Don't train them up the twine.

So just let them grow like a bush. Don't train them up the twine.

You need to string the main bines up the strings. Any other grown from the crown should be trimmed regularly.

Leave the sidearms to go where ever they want, for the most part. It won't look like a bush at all.

Yep. That's exactly what I'm talking about.

okay great. yeah leave those be.

Depending on varietal the sidearms grow from 10 to 40 inches and are a vital part of the plant structure for cones.

It will bush out some and has the potential to become a entangled mess but, since you read and followed all the advices for plant spacing it won;t create an issue of the sidearms entangling themselves on a different varietal thus making cone distinction impossible.

You DID space different plants at least 7 foot apart, didn't you?

I am growing in half wine barrels, and they have ample space between them. Thanks for all your help.

Also cones can develop on the bine, at the intersections of the bines and leaf clusters, as well as on the sidearms. Depends on the type. But the majority of the cones develop on the sidearms near the top of the bine.

If you are in a damp area, you can trim off the lowest (about 2') leaves and sidearms once the bine hits 6' to reduce the chance of mildew forming.

Back