Harvesting wort question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timOD

Reaction score
I'm planning on harvesting some Bells yeast for a Two-Hearted clone and I'm wonder when you harvest, do you need to create new wort every time you step up? Or can I create all the wort I need in one flask on day one and just add it to gradually?

I don't have any advice on harvesting specifically, but I wanted to make a comment about the 2-hearted.

Every clone recipe I have seen just calls for your basic Wyeast-1056 yeast, which is the same thing as dry S-05 or (I think) White labs WLP001. It might not be worth trying to harvest from a bottle in this particular case. A pack of S-05 is only $3 or $4.

Thanks for the reply. I'm following the recpe here: Here Several people said it's best when harvesting, so I figure it gives me a perfectly good reason to buy a 6 pack of the real thing.

I'm planning on harvesting some Bells yeast for a Two-Hearted clone and I'm wonder when you harvest, do you need to create new wort every time you step up? Or can I create all the wort I need in one flask on day one and just add it to gradually?

Easiest way to avoid the problem you allude to above is to make a batch of 1040ish wort and can it. I will typically do this about once a year and have five gallons of sterilized pint-sized starter wort to use throughout the year. Of course if I run out, I just plan a high gravity beer and after lautering batch it to sparge another lower gravity wort and top up with DME to about 1040, if necessary.

But if you do it the gradual-from-the-same-wort-way you mention I would be sure to boil and cool it again, but I am a little OCD sometimes about my wort. If you keep it sterile the entire time it is not fermenting you may be okay.

Back