How many primarys do you have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jchobs

Reaction score
So im just a noob at brewing, I bottled my first batch a little over a month ago it tasted so great i only have 3 bottles left, that got me thinking if i keep drinking at this rate im never gona build up a pipeline so it was off to the LHBS to get another bucket and some ingredients for 2 batches of beer.
Right now ive got 2 buckets bubling away next to each other nothings brings me more joy than seeing that (except drinking it of course)

So how many do you have?

I've got 4 carboys. A 6.5, a 6, and 2 5 gallon.

I use the 6.5 and 6 as primaries primarily but use whatever I have empty for whatever I need at the time.

I have 5 full 6.5 gallon carboys. One will be thrown away when I empty it. Has a crack in it. I have one that I borrowed that is empty and it has a weird funny white ring in it, so I might leave it be. And then I have one that hasn't been cleaned in years. I might get to that one eventually. So 7, soon to be 6, 4 I trust at the moment.

3, 6.5 gallon carboys
2, 7.9 gallon ale pails
2, 6 gallon Better Bottles
3, 5 gallon carboys

Oh, and they're all full right now.

3, ~6 gallon glass carboys
1, 6 gallon better bottle
3 buckets, but one is pretty much only used for sanitizing and storing

I have two 6 gallon Better Bottles and a five gallon Better Bottle. I need at least one more of each (two more of each would be better).

I use the five gallon for making small batches for my 3 gallon keg.

I have no idea how many I have. There are alot of them, though!

I think there are about 4 ale pails, probably only about 3-4 6 gallon carboys, 4 3 gallon carboys, and maybe 8-10 5 gallon carboys.

I have 6 gallons of rhubarb wine bulk aging, 11 gallons of chokecherry wine oaking, 10 gallons of grape wine in secondary, and 5 gallons of IPA in an ale pail. So I'm using two 6 gallon carboys and three 5 gallon carboys at the moment. I just bottled a ton of wine, so there are many empty carboys in the basement.

3 6.5 gallon carboys (beer primary)
1 6 gallon carboy (mead and cider primary or beer if the other 3 are full)
3 5 gallon carboys (for long term batch aging)
1 6.5 gallon bucket (funk bucket :cool:)
1 cannibalized keg (for perpetual Flanders Brown aging)
2 15 gallon oak barrels (lambic and Flanders Red)
1 10 gallon oak barrel (pyment now but will be another lambic in the future)

3 ale pails and 1 wine pail, I will use my 6 gallon BBs as primaries in a pinch if all the buckets are full otherwise they are usually used for secondaries or for wine. I also recently bought three 6 gallon Winpak HDPE barrels which will be used to do Flanders (sour Belgian) beers.

My bigger problem is kegs, I have 14 of them and usually I have more beer in fermenters than I have room in kegs so I end up bottling a bunch from kegs so there is somewhere for all that fresh beer to go!

1- HDPE from Cooper's Kit
2- 3 gal bucket
3- 6.5 gal buckets
11- 5 gal carboys - I use them for both primary and secondary

I have 2-15 gallon plastic drums, love the drums I got from US plastics, 2-6gallons glass carboyd and 2-5gallon glass carboys I use for secondary and apfelwein.

I have four 15.5 gal. sanke kegs and one 7.75 gal. 1/4 barrel for beer.
Two 5 gal. glass carboys for apfelwein.

I have;

2 6.5 gallon
1 5 gallon

I use the 2 6.5's normally as primaries and the 5 as a secondary if needed. I can only really brew 2 at a time due to space limitations.

I have 2~6.5 Better Bottles and 1~ 5 Better bottle.
I need 2 more primaries. I haven't been fooling with secondaries since I got back into brewing, I usually just drop it in a keg and blow off the sediment before serving.

1 - 5 gallon bucket
3 - 5 gallon glass carboys

I use the bucket as a beer primary, and the glass as secondaries or as primaries for cider/apfelwine.

I'll probably be getting another pail soon though so I can have more than one plastic primary going at a time. :)

My brother and I share the equipment, but it all at my house..hehehehe....

4 - 6.5 gallon glass carboys
4 - 5 gallon glass carboys
4 plastic fermentation buckets
1 bottling bucket
8 Corney Kegs

SWMBO is ok with this...it beats having a Harley in her mind...

3 better bottles (one 6gal and two 5gal). I don't need any more fermenters, if I buy something I buy another keg. I only need three primaries at any one time, and kegs work well as secondaries/aging. I have 10 kegs, and they can all fit in the keezer for cold conditioning.

Just 1 ale pail and a couple of 1gal CR bottles. I'm tight on space and have a short leash from SWMBO. I been a bad bad boy. Not really though...we're just watching the $$.

I just S***t canned all my buckets, I'll now have a 7 Gal SS pot as a primary and 6 gal SS pot as Secondary for brews that I dry hop. I hope to be picking up a couple cornies for more secondaries.

1 6 gallon pail
1 6 gallon carboy
3 5 gallon carboys

i usually brew every 2 weeks or when ever i rack from the 6 gallon to a 5 gallon. with the amount of space i have for storing fermenting carboys this works well for me. I usualy have 2 5 gallon carboys bubbling away at anytime.

3 plastic buckets
1 6.5 gallon glass carboy
4 5 gallon glass carboy

I use the 6.5 for primary beer fermentation and the buckets for wine/mead. The 5 gallons are all for secondary/bulk aging.

1 Coopers plastic fermenter (Big Bastage, I think it's around 9Gal)
1 Ale Pale

3 kids, one dog and a wife leave me no room for extra primaries. Those two are kept full almost all the time. No longer using the 5G glass carboys for regular secondary, cornies do that so much better.

Not enough is always the correct answer. In my case I have 2 buckets, 2 6.5 gallon carboys, and one 5 gallon better bottle. Only 2 are in use right now, but I'm working on getting the others filled since the pipeline is almost empty.

Back