Wee Heavy Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the lack of info last time. Well I am not getting any bubbles in my ferminter. My hydrometer reading at the start was 1.061 at day 1 I got a reading of 1.040 and now I'm at 1.020. Any ideas?

Repitch? Any advice is appreciated.

Joe

Let it sit. It could still be going, just not bubbling. A decent-sized beer like that might just need more time.

Let it sit and don't worry. Remember that bubbling in the airlock is not an indication of fermentation, it is only an indication that CO2 is being forced out of the airlock. For a Wee Heavy I would leave it in primary for at least 3 weeks before even bothering to take a reading, but that's just me.

I left my wee heavy in the primary for 4 weeks without even thinking about it...it has been in the secondary for a looooong time now. Maybe i will bottle that on my week off :)

Any ideas?
Sounds to me like you made beer.

What made you think that you had a problem? 4 days is a perfectly normal time for me to see active fermentation stop, and you've already read 66% apparent attenuation. Depending on the yeast, that might be all you can expect from it. In reality the gravity might keep falling.

I commend you for starting with a wee heavy. I cannot imagine begining by brewing a beer that won't be ready for over a month.

My wee heavy took 3 weeks before the SG dropped to a level i was happy with before I moved it to a secondary. Patience Grasshopper Patience....

Thanks for the advice guys!!

The latest update is... I took a final gravity reading of 1.010 and have transfered to my secondary fermenter.

Would you reccomend me to add in new yeast when it comes to bottleing time or to just add sugar and hope?

Thanks!

Joe

My yeast was fine. :)

I just wanted to let all of you know that it turned out to be very tastey. I've almost drank all of it. LOL The hop bitterness mellowed out very nicely. It just keeps getting better with age.

Now I'm working on a Helles Bock. I will be bottleing it here this week. Then it'll lager until spring.

Cheers!

Joe :mug:

Back