Is It Ready?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklotz

Reaction score
I'm brewing an Amer. Brown Ale. OG was 1.062, 9 days in primary, and it now reads 1.019. The yeast was SAFEALE S-04, which, from what I understand, is supposed to have an attenuation of 70-73%. As best as I can tell, it is now at 69%. There is no krausen, no airlock activity and doesn't have enough pressure to even float the cup in the airlock. The recipe calls for dry-hopping, and I plan to rack to secondary to do so. Am I close enough to rack, or do I need to rouse the yeast and try to get another % or 2 first?

Thanks!

Since you are planning to rack to secondary to dry hop anyway, you might get the other couple points from the mere act of moving the beer over...What I would do is rub the racking cane or autosiphon once down the middle of the fermenter while you begin racking to re-suspend a little more of the yeast and carry it over....that way you will be sure to kick up some extra yeasties...

They will probably be woken up enough to throw a house warming party when they get there, that should get you where you want to be..even though two points really isn't that big a deal unless you were bottling and it was @ 1.022.

Back