Is this mold in my plambic? Sweet!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shonuff

Reaction score
My wife wanted me to brew her a plambic Framboise so I tought I'd give it a try. I Made a medium gravity beer and pitched White Labs 1056 and let that ferment for 7 days. After 7 days I transfered it to a secondary that contained 5 or so pounds of Oregon's raspberry puree then pitched Wyeast 3278 Lambic Blend yeast. I let it sit for 6 months. It never really formed a pellicle like most beers with bugs in them do but the raspberrys eventually all floated to the top. A few weeks ago the raspberrys all went back to the bottom and this awesome mold kind of thing started forming on the top.

Has this happened to anyone else that was making a sour beer or using a similar type of yeast?

DSC01633.jpg

DSC01634.jpg

DSC01635.jpg

Looks cool...but Judging by it's distinctly NON fuzzy character and it's lack of tentacles...I say not mold.

huh, interesting. I'm going to bottle it today. I'll let you know if it tastes like a horse's ass.

Wait...you decide to bottle it as soon as you see some activity from the bugs? Hope you like bottle bombs.

I agree, if you are surely getting to the acetic acid producing phase you have a lot of gravity to drop!

You guys think I should wait? I had a pretty good fermentation for the first week after I added the lambic blend. It's been six months since then. I was just following the timeline for a recipe I found in a book.

Guess it's time to take a gravity reading.

From my understanding, a pellicle isn't mold, but yeast scum that kicks up to prevent oxidation of the beer over the long conditioning times.

I'd try bottling after a year.

From my understanding, a pellicle isn't mold, but yeast scum that kicks up to prevent oxidation of the beer over the long conditioning times.

I'd try bottling after a year.

My understanding was that it was yeast and bacteria and it is more that they are drawn to the oxygen and the end result is it protects the beer from oxidation. However that is just a matter of semantics.

Your pictures look like it could be the start of a pellicle. It seems late to me but then I pitched the Roselare blend directly in the wort without a ferment from a clean yeast first. I'm at about 6 months and still have a strong pellicle. It took about 6 weeks to form originally.

Craig

Back