Ball lock disconnects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill64

Reaction score
I am new to legging, I am keen to taste the fruits of my labour but have a gas leak at the gas ball lock disconnect, there is gas leaking from between the push down locking ring and the body of the disconnect, I have two, both new and both leak? I am sue that I ave seated the outer ring correctly, any suggestions?
My kegs are of the "new" type, Both O-rings look good.

If they're both new and they both leak, I would suspect the post or poppet. I had a poppet that wouldn't recess correctly, so it was very hard to connect the gas QD and when I got it on, gas leaked. Maybe make sure the poppet pushes in and out with relative ease. It shouldn't be hard to push down with the tip of a screwdriver.

That's my only guess.

The only thing this could be is a bad post o-ring.

There's no sealing function between the locking ring and QD body, so whatever is escaping the keg is doing so between the post and the QD body.

And when a QD is properly seated the post could actually be totally missing a poppet yet the QD will seal tight to the post...by virtue of a good post o-ring.

Poppet leaks are only interesting when there's no QD installed on a post.

Change the o-ring, add some keg lube, and you should be good to go...

Cheers!

Stupid question alert.... Are you absolutely positive that you have the QD pushed down all of the way? Is there a clear "click" when it's fully seated? I may understand, but I'm not sure how it can leak from that location.

Leak sealed, had to replace the two new gas ball disconnects that I purchased as part of package deal, both were leaking at the poppet valve, inspected the o-rings and they were new but still leaked, the new items I bought locally showed no evidence of leakage.
However for some reason I can,t seam to achieve to keep 40 psi in the keg, drops to 20 psi after about four hours and maintains the 20 psi for a couple of days slowly dropping approx 2 psi daily.
I have carried out a leak check with soapy water but can't see any evidence of a leak???????
I had my first taste today and quite enjoyed it, but I couldn't get a good pour, all head and then was a bit flat (still didn't stop me drinking half a dozen pots)

Leak sealed, had to replace the two new gas ball disconnects that I purchased as part of package deal, both were leaking at the poppet valve, inspected the o-rings and they were new but still leaked, the new items I bought locally showed no evidence of leakage.
However for some reason I can,t seam to achieve to keep 40 psi in the keg, drops to 20 psi after about four hours and maintains the 20 psi for a couple of days slowly dropping approx 2 psi daily.
I have carried out a leak check with soapy water but can't see any evidence of a leak???????
I had my first taste today and quite enjoyed it, but I couldn't get a good pour, all head and then was a bit flat (still didn't stop me drinking half a dozen pots)

If you are just putting CO2 to a fresh keg at 40Psi then disconnecting the ball lock the beer will absorb the CO2 so it will carbonate thus reducing the PSI in the keg. If it is still connected and loosing pressure I have found small leaks in the MFL/crimp connection on the actual ball lock connection. Even if it seems tight, with slight movement it will leak if it is not sealed properly.

Bill64 said:

Are you leaving the keg hooked up to the gas with the bottle turned on? If you disconnect the gas after pressurizing the keg. The beer will absorb the co2 into solution to equalize pressure with the headspace in the keg. This the pressure in the keg overall will decrease over time. You need to keep the keg on the gas until the beer and co2 completely equalize. Which usually takes a few weeks. Without force carbonating via shaking violently. The colder you can get it the better it will retain pressure.

image-2667741581.jpg

Here is a chart for temp and volume of co2 desired.

Fwiw, that's called a barb, and there's no flare connection in sight...

Cheers!

Gee thats why I said MFL/CRIMP AKA BARB (I used the crimp connections since they are better then the screw clamps) Since the connection comes in two different types.

Back