Forgot the Air Lock!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_Pee_Ale

Reaction score
Brewing my first batch and 6 days into the primary fermentation I’ve discovered my fermentation vessel airlock still in the box!

I’m using a fermentation bucket, which has a small hole at the top about the size of a coin.

Does anyone know the damage of not airlocking my brew?

...dreading the worst

the first few days of fermentation there is a lot of co2 production, with a little luck it was enough to form a protecting blanket over your beer. Just hope for the best i think. taste it before kegging or bottling and decide then what to do.

Thanks! Hoping for the best is what i'm best at!

My brew has bits of the powdered yeast (or hops) I used floating in it. Do you think this could be the lack of the airlock or did i just not stir enough? (my kit didn't require me to boil the wort, just mix in boiled water straight in the fermentation vessel)

That's just trub & yeast that get stirred up by the swirling action of the yeast fermenting. Sounds like it's ok at the moment.

There are a lot of people here on these forums that ferment or have fermented with open buckets. You are fine. Just make sure your fermenter isn't anywhere near somewhere that has a draft (register, h/c vent, open window, etc) and don't breathe over the hole and you should be ok.

Back