Lager sos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shibao123

Reaction score
Anyone does any help to tell me why my lager kit with LME after 3 days fermentation becoming too slow nearly stop. Brewing in ac room 20 degrees C. Hydrometer reading 1.020 . Can i use bread yeast or wine yeast to restarting, as no stock of beer yeast. Need helppppppp

That is a high temperature for fermenting lagers. That aside, many extract brewers encounter the 1.020 dilemma. It seems to be somewhat common, from what I've read about on here. In my mind, you have a couple of options. You can add more yeast and hope for the best, you can add amylase (just a tiny amount) to help the yeast out, or you can blend your beer. It just depends on your resources. You could add the bread yeast if you want and it won't add too much off-flavor since most of the fermentation is already over...but there's no guarantee it will even work. If you kept the beer in primary this whole time, then you probably have plenty of yeast. That being said, I have no idea about your processes and you should be more specific about how much yeast you pitched and how strong your brew is.

Thanks alot for your help. I am brewing coopers lager beer kit can and light malt extract in 5 gallon airlock plastic fermenter. Used the small sachet of dry yeast provided

No problem. Do you know how many grams of yeast are in the cooper's sachet? I think they use a different size rather than the typical yeast sachet size.

I am trying now with bread yeast in small jar. Hoping any advance. I thing the coopers yeast 7 gram

I have good news dbsmith my lager reading this morning advance 1.012. And you are absolutely right the trial in small jar with bread yeast did not work. Do you think can drink the lager if the worst reading reach to 1.010 ? Thanks a lot.

Oh good to hear that it fermented out. Sometimes just a little more time is all it needs. Your lager should be in good shape now.

20 degrees cel. is a little warm. Steam Beer is good too! Obviously no diacetyl rest is required here. Personally, I'd leave it in the fermenter for a few weeks total (let the yeasties clean it up a bit). Then Lager (If you can) at mid thirties farenheit. For a few more weeks.

I think my lager stuck on 1.010 for two days. What should I do now ? Should I put in the fridge before my first kegging day ?

I think my lager stuck on 1.010 for two days. What should I do now ? Should I put in the fridge before my first kegging day ?

It's not "stuck". It's done. It's an ale, as it was fermented at 20C (lagers are fermented at 10C), but it's done regardless. You can let it sit a couple of days, and then bottle or keg as desired.

Now my lager sitting in the fridge with primary fermenter. The last reading is 1.010. How long should i keeping there untill can start the kegging ? Thanks alot for helpfull suggestions.

shibao123 said:
Now my lager sitting in the fridge with primary fermenter. The last reading is 1.010. How long should i keeping there untill can start the kegging ? Thanks alot for helpfull suggestions.

If it were me I would bring it back to fermentation temperature for a week or three, then think about the next step. Three days of fermentation is not nearly enough.

Latest posts

Back