Raspberry wheat recipe (need advice)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dm1217

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a brewing newbie still working on my first batch.
I just ordered more ingredients from Midwest Supplies for a 1 gallon batch. I'm researching a lot and trying to formulate a recipe in the meantime.

I'm aiming for a light-bodied wheat ale, with a subtle raspberry flavor.
Please let me know if anything should be modified:

1 lb American 2-row pale (Briess)
1/2 lb Pale wheat (Weyermann)
1/2 oz Sterling pellet hops
Nottingham dry yeast

Protein rest 15 mins @ 122-130F
Saccharification rest 45 mins @ 145-155F

60 minute boil
.25 oz Sterling hops @ 30 minute mark
.25 oz Sterling hops @ 45 minute mark

Raspberries will be added to secondary.

Any input is appreciated!

- Dan

I've used raspberries a few times ...I've used the Oregan canned raspberries and frozen...the canned had a lot stronger flavor...used two cans for a 5 gallon stout...and 5lb bag of frozen for a wheat ....strong raspberry flavor in both....

If you want subtle without the reddish color, use a small amount of extract. Too much and it'll taste funny, but a little goes a long way.

Does my mashing and hops schedule look like a solid starting point? Or would you make any changes? (Times, temperatures, quantities, etc.)

I add real raspberries to my wheat beers. I use 1lb in 5 gallon batches for a subtle flavor. So .2 lbs should be fine for you. Buy fresh, weigh it out, freeze them, pasteurize them at 160 for 15 mins with a little water, let it cool, dump juice and all in the secondary. This is how I do it and it has always worked great. Secondary in plastic not glass!! Pouring your fruit slurry into a thin glass neck is a pain...

I've done blueberry and raspberry wheats and I find the flavor is generally stronger with less raspberry. It takes a lot more blueberries to actually taste them in the final product (about three times as many blueberries). My parents own a blueberry and raspberry farm so I've experimented plenty:drunk:

I appreciate all the feedback. I'm down to one more question -

The yeast packet is 11 grams. How much of that should I add? (It's a 1 gallon batch)

I appreciate all the feedback. I'm down to one more question -

The yeast packet is 11 grams. How much of that should I add? (It's a 1 gallon batch)

I use approximately 1/4 to 1/3 of a pack in my 1 gallon batches.

I just bottled a raspberry wheat a week and a half ago. I used the basic wheat beer extract kit from homebrewers.com. I bought 2 frozen 12oz bags of raspberries from wal mart and added them to my secondary and racked the beer on top of them. I maybe took about 3 oz. back out bc I was afraid of over flavoring the beer. I have drank several bottles within a week and the taste is very delightful. Slight red in color with a hint of raspberry smell and smooth but subtle taste of raspberry on the finish. Very enjoyable, next batch I would probably do the full pound and a half just to add a little more flavor. I was shooting for a subtle and not overpowering flavor which I feel I achieved. Hope this helps.

Back