back sweetening with concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oter

Reaction score
so i made 3 gallons of 5 day sweet country cider yesterday and i plan on bottling it tomorrow afternoon. However, I just realized I didn't use enough concentrate when i made the cider. Can I just thaw some concentrate and back sweeten with it?

Lots of people, including me, back sweeten with concentrate. Pasteurization or refrigeration will be required to stop further fermentation.

Thanks! I thought it would work. It's for christmas dinner (read: chinese delivery) and didn't want to ruin it.

How much fermentation will you have though?

If I want carbonate cider, do I insert concentrate wait 3 days then at bottling use priming sugar? Ummm you tell me.
Our would those be bombs?
I could also just add the concentrate and bottle it In a warm place, put one serving in a plastic bottle to keep track if its puffiness hence the carbonation?
Suggestions?

the concentrate has sugar.dont add more at bottleing..watch your plastic bottle closely and stove top it when hard...thats your carbonation!

How much fermentation will you have though?

If I want carbonate cider, do I insert concentrate wait 3 days then at bottling use priming sugar? Ummm you tell me.
Our would those be bombs?
I could also just add the concentrate and bottle it In a warm place, put one serving in a plastic bottle to keep track if its puffiness hence the carbonation?
Suggestions?

Carbonation times will be different due to sugar amounts and air temperatures.
You can put as much or as little sugar or concentrate as you want for your taste. The plastic cola bottle method is a good way to keep an eye on the carbonation.
My last batch of cider, 5 gallons, I added 4 cans of concentrate to back sweeten, which was all I had at the time. I didn't want the yeast to totally ferment the sugar in the concentrate so I added corn sugar.
I put all 52 bottles, plus a 20oz.cola bottle, in my fermentation chest and kept them at 74º. I checked the cola bottle each day until it was hard.
I used my E- BIAB rig to pasteurize the bottles. I put a bungee strap over the lid for safety and ran the temp up to 150º for 5 minutes. I had three bottle bombs so the bungee saved the day.

I did two cans of concentrate to back sweten 3 gallons. Took about six hours to carb and was almost too sweet. Worked great though.

Back