First ever AG today. Gravity question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaellifts

Reaction score
I finally did my first AG today. Not much different than extract...the old cliche.."should have started sooner." Anyhow I have a question on my O.G. I brewed a simple English Bitter. Grain bill was 8 lbs. Pale Malt. .5 lb. 60L Crystal Malt. Lautered at 153 degrees for 1 hour. Mashed out at 170 for 10 minutes. Fly sparged with 160 degree water to 6 gallons in my brew kettle. I took a reading from my vorloff water it was 1.060(I let cool to 60 degrees before reading.) My 6 gallon preboil reading was 1.022. My boiled down to 5 gallon reading was 1.048. I was shooting for high .030 range. I am not really concerned, it is what it is. What may have gone wrong? Or does this sound right?

Something doesn't add up there - one of those gravities must be wrong. Looks like that recipe should give you something in the 1.044 to 1.048 range at 75% efficiency so I'm betting that's the correct one. Maybe your preboil reading wasn't well mixed and your sample was off the top with mostly final runnings? With 1.048 at 5 gal should be about 1.040 at 6 gallons.

Thanks for the reply. I pulled the preboil sample off the top of the brew kettle. That would make sense it was final runnings. I was shocked when it was only .022 then rebounded to .048. Anyhow I am very pleased with the whole brew and can't wait to see how it ends up tasting.

My 6 gallon preboil reading was 1.022. My boiled down to 5 gallon reading was 1.048.

Did you adjust for the temperature that your hydrometer was calibrated for?

A hydrometer calibrated for 60F and measuring a SG of 1.044 would read 1.022 at 160F.

Back