CaraRed malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayOhm

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with CaraRed malt? I am playing around with some new ingredients and I have decided to make a Creamy Red Ale (ie with oatmeal)

I typically use tasty brew's calculator to play with the recipe to get the specs the way i want them. unfortunately Carared malts are not in there recipe database.

Based on homebrewtalk's wiki database the SRM is 20, does this mean Carared will be similar to Crystal 20 but with a more red colour?

Additional notes:
Recipe will likely be something like this -
70-80 % two row
10 - 15% munich
maybe 10 % caraRed
maybe 10 % rolled oats
?% roasted barley
?% crystal 40

i will worry about the hop schedule later, likely use Safeale s-05

That looks like a good enough grainbill for a red. And yeah, I'd just sub in C-20 for carared in the calculator. Add enough roasted barley to get you to 14-17 SRM, not sure about the necessity of C-40 if you already have 10% Carared as a crystal malt.

I use carared for colour by itself it will give and dark amber-orange color, you have to add some roasted barley or similar to get that red colour. As inhousebrew said you con account it as a c-20 malt. I usually use carered as an 8% to 15% of my grain bill. You can use a little c-40 if you want to different crystal malts will give different layer of complexity wich are always welcome in a malt foward beer, use just a tiny little bit less carared and put some crystal 40 or 60 there it can be good. Anyway your recipe doesn´t look bad at all.
Hope this helps.

Back