Length of time for California Lager yeast to ferment in Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beavdowg

Reaction score
I've got a honey lager with California lager yeast that has been fermenting for 8 days now. I'm going to be gone for a week starting this Friday. Should I just let it keep going in the primary fermentor or should I rack it to a secondary and stick in the fridge at the lowest setting? I've been able to keep the fermenting temps in the mid 60's by putting the ale pail in a water bucket with frozen water bottles.

thanks for the suggestions:tank:

You know, I'm a little embarrassed to admit this but I didn't take any gravity readings. In the past I'd just wait until I hadn't seen any bubbling for 2-3 days and then I'd rack it to either keg, bottles, or a secondary. I know I need to get in the habit of taking gravity readings.:eek:

I guess maybe my question really is am I ok to let it sit in the primary for another week until I rack to secondary?

I typically leave mine in primary from 14-21 days, just because of my schedule and keg availability.
(I really need more cornies)

It's better to leave it longer than to move it too soon. Sometimes that yeast produces some diacetyl, so it's better to leave it on the yeast cake longer anyway.

So ive been reading Froth!: the science of beer by Mark Denny. So far its a great book that has some good information about history and the science of brewing. Most of his brew techniques seem more "traditional" and might have something to do with his hate of the large brewing companies in the US.

But he says that many brew gurus recommend taking the scum ring off the fermenter after airlock activity has stopped to prevent off flavors. In addition, he says that you should rack to your secondary as soon as most fermentation is done, anywhere between 2-6 days!?!?!

i trust you guys more, but just wanted to see what you all thought of this contradiction i read a few days ago

i just brewed a common the beginning on june. primary for 14 days, FG of 1012 at that point. i then just put the beer(still in primary) into my keezer for a week and then kegged. its delicious.

i make a 10 gal batch and split it to 2 5 gal batches-one with wyeast 2112 and the other with us-05....the cali yeast makes the 05 taste like water, i love it.

long story short, i would atleast go as long as i did in the primary.

You'll learn from reading on here that most people leave their beer in primary for three to four weeks, sometimes longer - even a lot longer. I've started doing this, usually going four weeks. I can tell you that my beer tastes fresher, cleaner and over all a LOT better by letting my beer sit in primary for four weeks. Go enjoy yourself, your beer will thank you!

Back