Used too much water...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arover

Reaction score
I think I'm closer to about 6 gallons....kinda predicted wrong...it's close to the top of my fermenting bucket. Before I add the yeast, what should I do? Make a blowoff (If so, how)? *gasps* throw off some?

wow, i don't know about tossing some...if you do you'll have to sanatize what ever you use to remove the wort, siphon tube or I guess you could just pour some out.
don't forget to take an OG reading... it may be low due to the extra water.

but you'll need a blow off tube... my siphon tube fits into my bucket lid and seals tightly.

do you have a 6.5 gallon bucket? or 7.5?

blowoff.jpg

run the tube into a bottle or jar, you might need a big jar, a 2 liter soda bottle would work, put some water in the bottle and place the tube all the way down into the water to form an air lock..

I think I have somewhere around a 7...I just did too much. I dont think the OG will change now even if I toss the water tho. I thought u could do a blowoff by connecting the tube to the air lock?

You know what, I'm actually at a FG of 1.050, which is exactly what the kit estimates the starting FG at. So I think I'll do a blowoff...so will what I said above work?

Edit: My racking cane (I think that's what it's called) the curved plastic tube that connects to the long tube, it goes in the fermenter when im siphoning...yeah anyways, it fits perfectly into the airlock, and then my long tubing fits on the other end, will that work?

You know what, I'm actually at a FG of 1.050, which is exactly what the kit estimates the starting FG at. So I think I'll do a blowoff...so will what I said above work?

Edit: My racking cane (I think that's what it's called) the curved plastic tube that connects to the long tube, it goes in the fermenter when im siphoning...yeah anyways, it fits perfectly into the airlock, and then my long tubing fits on the other end, will that work?

I don't even use the cane. I just put the vinyl tubing right into rubber grommet on the lid. That way you don't even need your airlock.

If you're that close to the top of the fermenter, you might want a larger hose. This pic has 5/8", but I know many go even larger.
IMG_1996.jpg

I went out and got a larger hose...but when it doesn't fit perfectly into the hole of my fementer, there's some room on either side. Should I just leave it? Put it over the airlock? I think the airlock would get clogged pretty easily, since the bottom end (going into the fermenter) isn't a completely open hole (it has a criss-cross design from the plastic, you know what I'm talking about), let alone a large enough hole.

This is what it looks like, I didn't have my digi camera so I snapped a low qual pic with my phone...
0314091203.jpg

I also figured out that my smaller tubing WILL fit snug into my stopper....So I can either find a way to plug the excess room in the larger tube, or plug in the stopper with the smaller tubing.

I'm not exactly the expert on blow-off tubes, but I'd be just as worried about the small tube clogging as the opening in the airlock if you used that to connect the larger hose. I just cut the bottom off of my airlock to open up it up a little more.

I'm not exactly the expert on blow-off tubes, but I'd be just as worried about the small tube clogging as the opening in the airlock if you used that to connect the larger hose. I just cut the bottom off of my airlock to open up it up a little more.

Yeah, I did this too.. just use a hacksaw or a bread knife and cut that cross piece off of your airlock, then put the tubing over it. From the looks of your pic, you dont have a tight seal. It looks like a huge mess waiting to happen.

Yeah, I changed it. It's sealed now. One last thought though, with more water, will the amount of priming sugar supplied with the kit still work for carbonation?

Back