Half Batch ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakey971

Reaction score
So, I'm off to Florida to escape the bitter cold of North Dakota.

I have a 2.5 gallon batch in the primary.
Planned on skipping secondary on this one.

I read that up to a month in primary is okay, but would
it be shorter for a 2.5 gal?

Brewed on the 17th, and will be back on the 6th.
Am I going to have a problem with autolysis, or need I not worry?

I'm sure I could talk one of my buddies into bottling, but I like to
have my hand on everything that happens to my beer.

What do you guys think?

I count that as 17 days? No? Usually from what I've heard/read 3 weeks is fine... thats 21 days... more CAN be a problem but usually isn't until about 4 weeks. If you pitched on the 17th, then it should be fine until the 6th... I'm still pretty new, so I may be confusing myself too, but I'm pretty sure that's right.

I have left mostly all of my beers in the primary for over a month. Usually 5-6 weeks is my standard.

I read that up to a month in primary is okay, but would
it be shorter for a 2.5 gal?

No...in this case size dosen't matter, I leave both my 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon batcjes for a month

Brewed on the 17th, and will be back on the 6th.
Am I going to have a problem with autolysis, or need I not worry?

No....See first answer....

Enjoy your trip.

:mug:

I regularly brew 2.5 gal batches. They are treated the exact same in my brewery, as they should be. I've left them in primary for up to a month and a half with no ill effects.

I've been doing a lot of 2.5 gallon batches myself recently as I brew more often than I drink 5 gallons of beer.

I too do not rack to secondary with these smaller batches because I feel the impact of the beer lost during racking and the risk of oxidation double as the batch gets smaller.

Wow, thanks for the quick responses.
That puts me at ease.

bsay, I think you're the first fellow South Dakotan I've seen on the boards.
:mug:

Back