My great great grandfather was a Brewmaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcdowd

Reaction score
Just found out from my mom that my Great Great Grandafther was a Brewmaster for a local brewry here in the Syracuse area called Haberle's (it is now defunct). The only thing I know so far is that his last name was Griswald (German). I am trying to research it more but thought it was interesting. I guess it's in the blood! :rockin:

Post pics if you got 'em!

My grandfather (also German) worked at Cook's Brewery in Evansville IN during WWII. The building later became Sterling and was eventually demolished when I was a kid. It was pretty crazy to see all the old equipment just sitting outside in all the rubble.

Wish I had pics, I'm still trying to find some. It would have been late 1800s I believe

It would be cool to try and create a beer that your great great brewed.

I agree it would be neat. But being German, he brewed lagers, which I have yet to attempt (temp control and all that). But if I can find a recipe that he may have brewed, I am definitely going to try it.

Found a pic of the brewery, actually looks more like a drawing. Apparently from 1910

Haberle-national-brewing_1910_syracuse.jpg

Back