Deleted my Facebook profile and it feels GREAT. Highly recommended!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetallHed

Reaction score
This year in politics has driven a lot of people mad, I swear. More so than ever people are taking/making things personal and ruining/straining relationships over opinions and it's just rediculous. I live in Wisconsin so between the whole governer stuff going on and the presidential elections a lot of mud has been slinging.

I have opinions and while I generally keep to myself, I do like to get other view points to possibly see things differently. So, I'd post stuff on FB to get a discussion going... but it seems people don't like to have a "discussion." They'd prefer insults, arguing, and being rude and disrespectful. It was overwelming. I started to get seriously irritated and pissy IRL because of some stuff.

After one of our VERY good family friends (practically family) started bashing me on a video from my wedding about my views, I'd had enough. Deleted the whole dang thing. (Technically you can't delete your FB profile, just deactivate, but still..)

It's been great and I highly recommend it to anyone. I had also gotten into the routine of checking my phone and comp every chance I could to look at FB. I have no idea why... it was weird when I looked at what I was doing. I wanted to stop. Now it's like I have more time in the day to do stuff.. productive stuff. lol

So I guess I'll be spending more time on HBT looking at how I can waste more money on beer. :tank:

Facebook is a terrible forum for politics, for exactly the reasons you mention. Its not a real discussion. It quickly spins out of control to sound bites and insults, and I think that's a function of the short nature of typical facebook posts and comments. Technically you can write a novel outlining well thought out beliefs, but in general the format favors quick, one or two sentence comments.

So I do my very best to avoid political discussions on FB. I mostly succeed. Mostly.

Heh. Actually I rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and I wasn't even talking politics, that was just the straw that broke the camels back. The Packers was the other hot topic (as stupid as that sounds). I got messages saying to "f**k off" amongst a rash of people deleting me. Sweet jesus I know some touchy people. lol

Heh. Actually I rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and I wasn't even talking politics, that was just the straw that broke the camels back. The Packers was the other hot topic (as stupid as that sounds). I got messages saying to "f**k off" amongst a rash of people deleting me. Sweet jesus I know some touchy people. lol

Yeah, people get worked the hell up over sports teams. You say anything negative and its like you called their baby ugly.

I always find it interested how vested we can get in sports teams given that we have zero impact on their success or failure. But it doesn't stop us from being all proud when they win (as if we had anything to do with it). And I say we because I am not immune. I actually shed a tear when Vanderbilt won their bowl game in 2008. Doesn't make any sense, but I did.

From my observations, any forum or forum type place is a poor place to discuss politics because ineviably it degenerates into the same thing.

Anyway, congrats on shuttin' 'er down!

From my observations, any forum or forum type place is a poor place to discuss politics because ineviably it degenerates into the same thing.

Anyway, congrats on shuttin' 'er down!

Eh, we actually have a lot of meaningful discussion in the debate forum here. Granted, there is still some name calling and closed-mindedness, but the majority of the discussion is thoughtful and meaningful.

MetallHed said:
This year in politics has driven a lot of people mad, I swear. More so than ever people are taking/making things personal and ruining/straining relationships over opinions and it's just rediculous. I live in Wisconsin so between the whole governer stuff going on and the presidential elections a lot of mud has been slinging.

I have opinions and while I generally keep to myself, I do like to get other view points to possibly see things differently. So, I'd post stuff on FB to get a discussion going... but it seems people don't like to have a "discussion." They'd prefer insults, arguing, and being rude and disrespectful. It was overwelming. I started to get seriously irritated and pissy IRL because of some stuff.

After one of our VERY good family friends (practically family) started bashing me on a video from my wedding about my views, I'd had enough. Deleted the whole dang thing. (Technically you can't delete your FB profile, just deactivate, but still..)

It's been great and I highly recommend it to anyone. I had also gotten into the routine of checking my phone and comp every chance I could to look at FB. I have no idea why... it was weird when I looked at what I was doing. I wanted to stop. Now it's like I have more time in the day to do stuff.. productive stuff. lol

So I guess I'll be spending more time on HBT looking at how I can waste more money on beer. :tank:

What's 'Facebook'?

So, you're saying that you have no self control and that abstinence is the only answer for you?

Fine. But to highly recommend it to others . . . . :rolleyes:

What's next? We're all suppose quit drinking and join AA? :D

BrewKnurd said:
Eh, we actually have a lot of meaningful discussion in the debate forum here. Granted, there is still some name calling and closed-mindedness, but the majority of the discussion is thoughtful and meaningful.

I will second this. I have been watching a few threads here, and aside from a few individuals they have been pretty good discussions.

I cleared out all pictures & 'likes' from wasted Spacebook last month. I kept close friends & family then stepped away from it for about a week.

It was awesome.

iBrewR said:
Fine. But to highly recommend it to others . . . . :rolleyes:

What's wrong with recommending things that worked for you to others?

I mean, I know you really enjoyed that beer you had, but to highly recommend it to others.....

;)

I've never had a facebook account. I treasure my privacy, I cannot sell my soul to marketing agencies.

Facebook is a terrible forum for politics, for exactly the reasons you mention. Its not a real discussion. It quickly spins out of control to sound bites and insults, and I think that's a function of the short nature of typical facebook posts and comments. Technically you can write a novel outlining well thought out beliefs, but in general the format favors quick, one or two sentence comments.

So I do my very best to avoid political discussions on FB. I mostly succeed. Mostly.

I agree with the OP and the comments above... Even on the political section on HBT results in nothing more that short posts that tend to get a hostile tone.

Afterwards its nothing more than being SPAMed with one or two line comments of intermingled useless facts and/or opinions.

IMHO - Its nothing more than a hit and run mentality,

Congrats on saying screw-it.

I have face book account that I rarely use, I kind found it to be pointless after awhile. I would spend more time here. After my son was born, I had less time for this as well.

I really don't like the fact that employers monitor it with zeal. I had a very recent reminder of this when I saw a potential strike notice that was discovered on FB. A corporate email came out stating a local UAW-related labor group was trying gin up some type a day of action.

The fact that big brother watches it, I'm staying away from it altogether.

:mug:

http://deletefacebook.com I have not used this link but im sure it works.

Yes you can perminatly delete your facebook accound. My wife and i deleted ours about 2 and a half years ago.

Just google "how to de" and it will finish it for you.

Facebook is evil an pointless, I don't care that somone just got out of the shower and is now making lunch.

"de-activated" mine about a month ago...

“I really have to thank Facebook… I didn’t know what Facebook was, and now that I do know what it is, I have to say, it sounds like a huge waste of time. I would never say the people on it are losers, but that’s only because I’m polite...”
Betty White

Okay, that's harsh - they're not all losers, but I agree with the above posts - too much bashing, political crap, and "honey, pick up some milk on the way home"
I'm out and glad of it.

I deactivated mine in August. I never kept much personal info on there, didn't see why FB needed my cell # and address and I always use a fake birthday on websites anyway.
I still have my google+ account which has even less information on it. I use it strictly for games and have 500+ "friends" who I don't even know.

Not everyone has issues with FB. The software is not evil. The way some people use it can be frustrating.

I use it a few times a week. I don't understand how people can get "addicted" to it. I've found it very handy for sending and receiving some messages to some people.

The simple thing is to weed out the people who you know you won't care to hear from, resist when you know your response is going to be taken as mean or insulting, even if they deserve it, and not get bent out of shape when someone else has a different opinion on something.

I have several 'friends' who are not related to me and frankly aren't that close. I usually appreciate their posts. And I don't have my MIL or FIL on there because of the BS I had to put up with when they split. No reason given. Just removed. They never asked and it's so much better to just remove than to argue with them in a semi-public place.

I, too, have "deactivated" my Fakebook account and it does feel great. I'll admit my own weakness in seeking validation from "likes" and comments on my posts, and wasting time checking my phone to see what sort of nonsense was on FB, but now that I have removed that from my life, I have more time to work on my RIMS system. Which is so close to being done.

I still have my google+ account which has even less information on it. I use it strictly for games and have 500+ "friends" who I don't even know.

You do realize that Google (the company) not only mines your info from their google+, but also pairs that with other google services you might use: email, map searches, web searches, etc. Every time you are signed into Google+, you are signed into ALL google services all of which collect data.

I'm not sure that is a safer option than FB.

You do realize that Google (the company) not only mines your info from their google+, but also pairs that with other google services you might use: email, map searches, web searches, etc. Every time you are signed into Google+, you are signed into ALL google services all of which collect data.

The most alarming is definitely the use of gmail for data mining although I'm sure all the others do it, too.

I never got to that level where I had to check non-stop and post about everything I do. I knew a lot of people like that who either were removed from showing up in my news feed or just deleted all together. When FB went through that screwy interface change a year or two ago a lot of people gave up on FB and some people seemed to have gotten burned out on it after they got a smartphone and found themselves checking every five minutes. So that took away a lot of people I wanted to see less of but also removed some people I enjoyed talking to.

I'm in front of my computer most of the day every day so I do tend to check it once or twice a day, especially since it's how I keep track of the beer specials at my favorite bars. However some weeks I rarely, if ever, get on. I rarely post anymore. I don't feel trapped by FB, no feeling that I must check on it all the time.

I rest my case. :)

broadbill said:

Ive heard that google writes the software that china uses to police there commie internet. I could be wrong tho.

Oh no! They will know my high score on Angry Birds and what level my gangster is on The Godfather! Again, I don't keep personal info on there. I don't post anything or +1 anything. I play stupid games and ask for you to send me energy and pretzels and other stupid ****. Facebook does the same thing and they got in bed with Zynga (and depending on who you listen to, the CIA) way before Google+.

I rest my case. :)

Well, I guess if you equate occasional name calling to an overall atmosphere of disrespect, then ok.... to me there's a significant distinction between the how the OP presented things and what exists in our debate forum.

So you can rest your case, but if I'm on the jury, I'm unconvinced. :D

I never have, nor will understand why "debates" come to name calling and personal insults. The most I can say is "I think you are wrong" But name calling and jabs, does nothing more than show a complete lack of debate/conversational skills. I find my self wanting to say "grow-up" a heck of a lot more than the desire to say "f**k off" That's annoying.

I never have, nor will understand why "debates" come to name calling and personal insults.

I think the question implied in your first sentence, above, is answered as well as it can by by your third sentence, below.

But name calling and jabs, does nothing more than show a complete lack of debate/conversational skills.

:D

Awesome, glad I got some good feedback and support!

I used my FB to keep tabs on friends and family too and didn't post much. I realized though that I already keep in touch with them in person, so I wasn't losing much there. I didn't put stupid things up like "going to lunch, omg!" or "taking a deuce, txt it!" lol

I also started to realize that I didn't really care about what my old friends that I haven't talked to since high school were doing every day. If I run into them in person I'd gladly ask "how's it going" but constant everyday **** that they post, or a thousand pictures of their kid eating food.. who effin cares? I honestly don't.

I do, however, miss the opportunity to connect if there is something I need. It was easy access to numbers and emails if I did need to reach out. Also, event info. That's the only things I miss though.

I never have, nor will understand why "debates" come to name calling and personal insults. The most I can say is "I think you are wrong" But name calling and jabs, does nothing more than show a complete lack of debate/conversational skills. I find my self wanting to say "grow-up" a heck of a lot more than the desire to say "f**k off" That's annoying.

Some people on there honestly did respond with point/counterpoint discussion and were calm about it. I did. But my landlord/family friend threw her two cents in with "I worry for you. You need to get checked out. I think you are bitter and depressed and need to seek some help to get you through whatever it is bothering you." All because I didn't agree with her. Seriously, wtf is up with that?

Her husband started out saying he was "an a-political cynic" then went on to tell me that I am too poor to vote republican and that I need ObamaCare. He also said it blows his mind on how I can't see that I'm wrong. How does an a-political person come out and say something like that? Plus that was the comments that was on my wedding videos which had NOTHING to do with politics.

Not everyone has issues with FB. The software is not evil. The way some people use it can be frustrating.

I use it a few times a week. I don't understand how people can get "addicted" to it. I've found it very handy for sending and receiving some messages to some people.

The simple thing is to weed out the people who you know you won't care to hear from, resist when you know your response is going to be taken as mean or insulting, even if they deserve it, and not get bent out of shape when someone else has a different opinion on something.

I have several 'friends' who are not related to me and frankly aren't that close. I usually appreciate their posts. And I don't have my MIL or FIL on there because of the BS I had to put up with when they split. No reason given. Just removed. They never asked and it's so much better to just remove than to argue with them in a semi-public place.

I didn't post on other people's stuff regarding politics, but jeeze some of the ignorant things that were posted just got me going. Then I'd get pissy and my wife didn't really appreciate it. lol

I did go through and delete friends and hide others from the newsfeed, but I just decided that stepping away all together was even better, and it is.

I had been meaning to do this for months now for many of the same reasons as previously mentioned. I have grown very tired of the mindless posts that people make or the ambushing that seems to occur when various topics are brought up.

Only reason I neglected to do it for so long is I keep in contact with relatives and friends from out of town via Facebook as it was sometimes easier to send a message than to give somebody a call. A poor excuse.

Finally did it today after reading this thread and a few annoyances over the past week or two.

Looking forward to not knowing what everybody is eating or how they wished they were doing anything else than what they are doing.

todd_k said:
I deactivated mine in August. I never kept much personal info on there, didn't see why FB needed my cell # and address and I always use a fake birthday on websites anyway.

I am on google+. My fear is that it will eventually turn into the mental diahrea that I feel TwitFace has turned into.

Back