Foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CivEngPE

Reaction score
I am having a foam issue and am trying to pinpoint the problem. I am leaning toward temperature at the moment. I haven't been able to get the keg under 48 deg yet. It is supposed to be served at 38 deg.

Will an elevated temperature cause foaming? The beer looks good in the lines, it just comes out pure foam. I have tried dialing back the co2 pressure (currently 8psi) , but am afraid if I dial it back too much the beer will lose it's carbonation.

You should be able to serve at 48, but your beer lines are more than likely the problem. They are either too short, too warm, or possibly your beer is overcarbed?

Also, if you dial back the beer serving pressure, your beer won't lose the carbonation it already had. At least not enough to notice it over a few weeks.

I forgot to mention that this is a commercial keg of shiner bock. The label stated it should be served at 38 deg. I am using the stock beer line that came with my kegerator. It is a total of about 3 feet from the tap to faucet.

You mentioned it would be fine for a couple of weeks, but how about a few months? Do I need to cut this beer line and extend it? I am remiss to do this only because it will require some extra fittings etc. The stock line came premade with screw fittings.

CivEngPE said:
3 feet from the tap to faucet.

That is too short, especially at that warm of a temp.

You need at least 5 feet, possibly more.

Fix that, and the system will balance itself out--where you can keep your reg at serving pressure all the time, and the beer will stay at the same carb level.

Back